Topic Options
#79914 - 02/12/05 02:36 PM Talk About Peafowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to 'Talk About Peafowl'. We have just sprung for a paid forum to give us more space and other benefits - such as easy picture posting. Although it has not seen the use in the past that we were hoping for, it has had threads that are very informative to peafowl breeders and beginners alike. One such thread discusses genetics on Silver Pieds at a level that I have never seen on any forum before.

This is an open forum, feel free to post pictures, birds for sale etc. The forum will be monitored to keep out unwanted SPAM and bad language. In the last week we have deleted threads that no longer have value ( Merry Christmas, etc.) to keep from losing threads that have value in the archives. It's your forum, come join us.

Ken Piercy
Von Russell Farm

Web site: http://vonrussellfarm.crosswinds.net/
http://www.goliathboards.com/users5/vonrussellfarm/index.cgi?board=Peafowl

#79915 - 02/20/05 11:55 AM Re: Talk About Peafowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm considering purchasing my first peafowl...I have had chickens and guineas..but I realize with every different breed there are different considerations...any advice,experience,or knowledge would be most appreciated...

#79916 - 03/02/05 07:14 PM Re: Talk About Peafowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peafowl are easy. In captivity, you put out feed, water and a nice perch. Maybe around a tree they can perch in. If free ranging, let them go. make sure they know where their feed and water are. They will thrive!! Let me know if I can help. I have a few breeding pairs that can ship that are egg laying eggs.....instant income!!
$200.00 for blue pair, breeding, hatching, brooding...u get it all!! U pay to ship.
Sally

#79917 - 04/05/05 09:49 AM Re: Talk About Peafowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am also interested in aquiring a male peafowl, but I am wondering how well he will be able to adopt living with ducks geese and bantams.
Will he decide to walk away?
Do I need to keep him cages for a while?
Any advise you may have to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. smile

#79918 - 04/05/05 02:05 PM Re: Talk About Peafowl
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Yes you will need to keep him caged for awhile. He'll be fine with the other critters. I have pigeons, chickens, guineas, and quail. The guineas are the ones that can really be rambunctious!! smile If you get a full grown bird, he should be caged separately as a precaution against bringing in other diseases to your existing flocks. I let mine free range during the day, and lock them up at night. I've also let them in the day yard (20x90), where I have quail running around. The peafowl don't even bother them. Keep in mind they do wander further than your chickens and geese will.

#79919 - 04/09/05 07:03 PM Re: Talk About Peafowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi G.A.
Do you have a peahen already? The males may roam if alone, however, I have had them stay when other birds are around for companionship and flock mates. If you are having one shipped in, it's best to ship in fall as soon as they shed their train. It is easy as shipping a hen or yearling then.
Sally

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2