Topic Options
#80039 - 03/04/05 05:43 AM where will guineas lay?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
All my guinea are 1yr., I have NO ground cover. I think only 3 maybe 4 female out of 11. Could they possibly be laying in the chickens boxes? I have been getting an egg I don't reconize, I have 5 different bantam breeds and about 10 different standards, so I'm not sure who lays what. I haven't seen a guinea in any boxes, but in the coop more. should I try to pair off in a pen by themself to raise some? I haven't seen any mating or pairing off. Are they more private than the chickens?

#80040 - 03/04/05 07:05 AM Re: where will guineas lay?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Guineas pretty much lay where they darn well please!! I've had some lay in the chicken coop. Their eggs have a more pointy end than chicken eggs. Once you've seen a guinea egg next to a chicken egg they are easy to identify. I've never seen any procreating action either, but believe me they do it. They're so fast and flighty, they may be doing it right in front of us and we just don't see it!! I haven't yet had a hen sit on eggs anywhere where I can find her. If yours are free ranging they could lay anywhere, and when they decide to sit you'll either never see them again, or in about a month you'll see a hen and babies coming home. If you want to raise some, give the eggs (once you identify them), to a chicken to sit on. Right now I am saving my guinea eggs and waiting for a chicken to go broody.

#80041 - 03/14/05 06:09 AM Re: where will guineas lay?
Danny Pritchett Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: South Carolina
My dad has guineas and they lay everywhere they can. Mostly in our pasture. But when they lay they do lay in the same nest each time. Unless they lay in someone elses nest.

#80042 - 03/18/05 10:04 AM Re: where will guineas lay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our guineas lay everywhere, too. Sometimes in clutches with many, many eggs, sometimes a single here or there. They haven't been laying in our hen boxes and I've never seen them sit eggs. We gather and incub. ours. Heard they werent too good at it, but our free range, cept at night, when they share a coop with the chickens. As for seeing the act, I never have, but you may see alot more chasing, at a high rate of speed, when the time comes. Also, I agree with the other post, the g. eggs are more pointy, but have had alittle trouble telling them from bantam eggs a couple of times.

#80043 - 03/18/05 11:36 AM Re: where will guineas lay?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

I finally saw a guinea doing it the other day. I was taken aback!!! I think I am among a few select people who have actually seen them "do the deed". eek eek eek

#80044 - 03/18/05 05:55 PM Re: where will guineas lay?
Goat Man Offline
Feather

Loc: Pennsylvania
my guineas always layed eggs out in the field.one time a hen went broody in late september.we had an early snowstorm and she would'nt leave the nest. she actually froze to death on the nest

#80045 - 03/18/05 06:50 PM Re: where will guineas lay?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Oh My God!! That is so sad. But... I can see a guinea doing that. You'd think that over the years they would evolve enough to instinctually seek a better place to sit. I have to ask, how long was she on the nest before she froze? Course you know where I'm going with this...was she still warm enough to hatch any babies?

#80046 - 03/18/05 06:59 PM Re: where will guineas lay?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
It takes a brain to evolve, kinda leaves a guinea with the short straw.

#80047 - 03/18/05 07:06 PM Re: where will guineas lay?
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Well Rob, I was trying to be diplomatic here and didn't want to step on the toes of those who might be offended at what I could have really said about that guinea freezing to death wink I thoroughly enjoy my critters as they are, and certainly know their limits. Other people don't want to know that smile

#80048 - 03/19/05 08:38 AM Re: where will guineas lay?
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
My Guineas will lay in our field or anywhere. Our hens usually diappear and then one day you will see about 16 little things running behind. We try and heard ours into a pen once they have hatched, otherwise the dew usually kills them off one by one.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2