Topic Options
#80067 - 03/09/05 06:08 AM guinea question/raising
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
Okay, I got my guinea put in a 10x20x4ft pen, 6 to 8 inch tall grass and a couple places to lay eggs, 2 hens and 3 males, I couldn't leave just one guinea out, the others were pairing. Will they maybe sit on there own eggs or should I pull and put under a chicken? A breeder yesturday told me they wont sit, but many of you have stated they show up one day with babies. If they hatch there own do I remove the males or the babies or leave alltogether? They are 1yr old this month. Any advice would be appreciated. I have people wanting guinea, and this is new for me. thanks

#80068 - 03/09/05 07:38 AM Re: guinea question/raising
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Hi Tiffany,
The hens may sit, but in my experience I've never had a hen want to sit when she's penned. Out in some field somewhere, yes. But that's a 50/50 chance she'll survive the entire 28 days, to bring the babies home! Mine are laying eggs in their pen, and I may just eat my words later, but right now they aren't interested in sitting. If you really want more babies I would give the eggs to a chicken. If that's the case, you can let the chicken raise them and then separate them when their behavior starts getting rowdy. I've not let a guinea raise babies, so I don't know about keeping them all together. Is your pen only 4 feet high? And covered overhead? Mine pens are 6 feet high, and ought to be higher. The guineas are in a 10x40 ft. run, and I let them out during the day. With spring coming on, they are getting really frisky, for lack of a better word, and while I'm nervous to let them out now and risk a hen going off to sit on some eggs, I hate to see them beating up on each other. I've had to separate a couple, at different times, just to give the poor thing a rest. Seems they tend to single one out and pick on it. Good luck!

#80069 - 03/10/05 07:59 AM Re: guinea question/raising
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Hi Jeep, yes the pen is only 4 and 5 foot high with chicken wire and camo netting on top for better shade. This was the only pen I had big and covered to get started with them. All my other pens/dog runs are filled. We had rescued a sea gull one day and that pen previously just had a dog in it, so I just put wire on the top so the gull would have more space to heal, it has two T stands holding the top up. So far this group of 5 guinea have always got along, I got rid of the 4 they always fought with. If I do get eggs out of them (what I want to try to hatch) then they will be let out again. They don't understand right now why they are penned, they have always been free range. Do you know if white, pied and chocolate are any different in breeding than the reg. pearls? because thats what I have. thanks, tiff

#80070 - 03/10/05 12:52 PM Re: guinea question/raising
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi Tiffany,
I don't think there's a difference in breeding, but don't quote me on that!
So far, two or three of my females come back to their coop to lay eggs, and one is dropping it wherever she happens to be at the time eek While they have been relatively good about doing that, I just don't think I'm going to see a hen stay and sit (in the coop).
Yours are still young, so don't hold your breath on them not harassing each other. It's bound to happen sooner or later. If you aren't getting any eggs yet, I would let them free range. It'll keep 'em happy.
I just ordered 7 more keets (pearl). I have 13 pearls now. I don't want to wait for a hen to go broody!! Besides all my pens are in use, except one I have available for more guineas, and another I have for 7 more quail. And....I'm putting up another kennel to be used by the 2-3 turkeys I ordered! Spring does this to me every year :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I even came close to adopting 2 wild burros from BLM!

#80071 - 03/11/05 08:18 PM Re: guinea question/raising
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL...at least the burros will keep coyotes, foxes, dogs and usually cougars away from your flocks, within their access. I love donks!! I adopted a 4 mo. old male here in FL. years ago, raised him and we took him to Arabian Nights Dinner Theatre in Kissimmee FL. and he is still there performing every night in the show!!
His name is Arazona Joe, but now in the show he is known as "HeeHaw" LOL
as to the guineas, mine will lay in the pens, though they won't set till about 40 eggs in the nest. No worries, I let them build up to a dozen or so, mark them every few days, and then start taking out the eggs and putting in golfballs. By the time they go broody I lock them on their own nest with a dozen eggs and food and water. Period. They come off with keets, I take away all but 2 or 3 and sell the rest. My guineas will hatch and raise peachicks too. The males will help sit and hatch and are very protective when the chicks hatch to protect them. I took some helacious pecks when I had to catch 10 of the 12 chicks one hen hatched in the barnyard last year!! eek wink . they raised the ones I left them just fine. I haven't penned mine yet....maybe in a week or so.
Sally

#80072 - 03/12/05 06:16 AM Re: guinea question/raising
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Okay, ya'll say that my guinea are still young? they are 1 year this month, what is the age they start to lay? I thought they bred at a year. Am I still early on penning? I just wanted them to become acustomed to the new pen and feel comfortable enough to lay. will they lay withen a couple months? this pen they are in is in there yard and about 30 feet from the coop they slept in, I thought that might would help them be more comfortable in familiar surroundings. so far they seem content, there not pacing or screaming, and boy am I enjoying the quite around the house!!!!!!! thanks for both ya'lls input wink

#80073 - 03/12/05 09:29 PM Re: guinea question/raising
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi again Tiffany,
Actually, Guineas can start laying at about 5 months old!! That doesn't mean they will, just that they can. Mine could be laying eggs all over the place for all I know eek they just dissapear and then show up with keets!!
If I see them missing, I go looking as I know their usual hideouts now laugh (some things never change....much)!!!
Sally

#80074 - 03/13/05 06:42 PM Re: guinea question/raising
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi Tiffany...
I'm amazed your guineas are being quiet? or are you just accustomed to their sound? I've not had quiet guineas unless they are resting!!! Or I am!!!
Starting them in a pen right off is the best thing, if you intend to let them free range, but want them back home at night. It's funny, my guineas hate being penned for any length of time, but at night, they come running to get in for dinner.

#80075 - 03/14/05 05:40 AM Re: guinea question/raising
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Hi again, These guinea have all been free range for a solid year. This is there first time to be put up. I am shocked too that they are being so quite, I going to cherish it while I can!!! They still sound the alarm if they see something, like yesturday they started raising cane and went looking and found the road runner with a mouse running off, he was on the backside of there pen. Maybe the camo netting and bamboo on top of the pen is helping keep them calm/quiter. They also have all the chickens right by them that they were raised with, so maybe they still feel like they are in the flock. Also they settled down alot when I got rid of those big french guinea, they were all raised together, but when they got older the whites and pieds turn on the french.

#80076 - 03/14/05 06:11 AM Re: guinea question/raising
Danny Pritchett Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: South Carolina
could you sell me a dozen of eggs cheap.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2