Topic Options
#80105 - 06/05/03 02:26 PM quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do guineas make noise all day, or just when they are upset or disturbed? I'm thinking about adding one to my flock of chickens, but they are SO loud!
Will having just one keep it quieter?

#80106 - 06/05/03 03:56 PM Re: quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

guineas are naturally disturbed.
they will be noisy all day and will sing at twilight.
the male guinea will be near mute if kept as one guinea. the females onley make that horrible squeaking noise.
\ but he willhave to be caged separate all his life as he will attack and de-eye the chickens.
guineas are very devoted birds and really pine away alone.

#80107 - 06/05/03 08:26 PM Re: quiet guineas?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Never heard of a quiet guinea. Last one I had drove me nuts. I didnt solve that with dry ice, I macerated his head with a .22. It felt no pain, and I felt better too.

#80108 - 06/10/03 05:06 PM Re: quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

again- males will chatter- but as far as the horrible rusty windmill noise the hens make- no.
males will chatter with the chickens, and again at twilight- much in the range of a fancy pheasant.
still he will never be happy alone

#80109 - 06/16/03 12:13 AM Re: quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my guineas!!!!!!!!

They are so funny! I have 2 females and one male...and 12 little munchkins. They make happy little noises when you feed them "white millet" and they alert when something strange is happening. They call out to eachother when they are sepatated... and the male sometimes "chi's" when the sun goes down. And yes, they can be noisy at times... but I haven't heard a loud word out of them in atleast a week.

They are great helpers for our insect population!
And we have only seen 1 snake this summer!

I let mine free range and only feed them a handful of millet each day. I make sure they have access to fresh water. They roost in the trees at night. (not recommended... but once the puppy ate the chickens... the guineas refused to go back into the coop)

I LOVE THEM laugh laugh laugh

#80110 - 06/16/03 01:00 PM Re: quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

every oncein awhile i see a snake too.
they flatten the thing from one end to the other like a tube oftoothpaste.
like abot 40 squash marks in a young snake

#80111 - 06/17/03 11:11 PM Re: quiet guineas?
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
The only quiet guinea is a dead guinea. On the farm we always had geese and guineas for watch dogs. The guineas watch during the day and the geese watch at night. Nothing movies on the place that either one or the other doesn't spot. I certainly would not recommend only 1 guinea or 1 of anything be it dog or fowl on a farm.

#80112 - 06/18/03 05:51 PM Re: quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well we did it. We got a keet last week and his chicken buddy that he was raised with (a little ameraucana.) He/she thinks that he's one of the other 30 chicks. It sleeps in the middle of all of them, and so far, fingers crossed, he's been non agressive. Let's hope it stays that way.

#80113 - 07/21/03 06:18 AM Re: quiet guineas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is only one way to quiet a guinea, and that is to tape the beak shut.By the way, i have a friend who owns a mean female guinea. The thing grabbed hold of her husbands arm and held on so tight that he carried it all the way from the coop and into the house and it took them quite a while to get it off.Are guineas normally vicious, or is this one an odd ball? She keeps it in with the hens, but it doesn't attack the hens. It's kind of a loner.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2