Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#80127 - 04/07/03 07:08 PM Sexing Peacocks
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
We had two peahens hatch out five babies last spring. However, two birds disappeared over the winter. Now this spring all the birds look alike so we do not know if the two that disappeared were young ones are the older hens. Can we sex them somehow and find out or do we just wait and see if any of them lay this spring? Also how can you sex young birds as they all look alike except that some do not have the "fan" of feathers on top of their head- is that significant? Is it also true that both male and females are not mature until the age of two years? Enough questions,I await a reply. Thanks.

#80128 - 04/08/03 09:19 AM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

peafowl are sexable by the appearance of the legs.
the male leg is mor cylindrical, and long ine the shank. feet are bigger.
thereris a "break"betweenthe juction of foot and leg in males but only a curve in females.
males have a really masculine head as per pheasants.
this goes much under the category of "sexing chicks by hoky methods at hatch'- so see those posts and read past the part where 'it cant be done!"
in second year- males get a wispy fringe on the sides of the 'tail' (really the back ) a brown fiber that hangs. unmistakable.
we have a 2 year old 'breeder' but in practice- a bird 3 years old (gets his big tail) is a real breeder. hens are ready in their second summer and will lay a few eggs usually at least 5.

#80129 - 04/08/03 11:43 AM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thanks Incubator; you are a virtual encyclopaedia of information. Three of our birds have the "fan" of feathers on top of their head and two are bare headed. Has this any significance as to their sex? And yes, our two mature females each laid 5 eggs last year with a 100% hatch. And yes, the mature male turns three this spring and he has developed a tail of spectacular length and brilliance and is in constant display now.

#80130 - 04/08/03 02:02 PM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Vesper,

I bought a couple of babies two years ago and subsequent research yeilded that the males can be told apart from the females at an early age by the color of their flight feathers. the males will have reddish brown flight feathers, the hens will habe the same grey coloring as on the rest of their body. what kind do you have? India Blues or?

Janice

#80131 - 04/08/03 03:20 PM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

"you are a virtual encyclopaedia of information"
yeah i am the cliff notes version
oh yeah you are right about there being an early color difference between male and female- in vaarieties with the mature blue neck- the male chicks get a teal(blue/green ) shine in the neck feathers ( look at necks back) and the females a very dull true green

#80132 - 04/09/03 08:55 AM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
The crest has nothing to do with sexing. What 'color' are they? As in Indian blue, blackshoulder, etc?

By 6 months of age, females already look exactly like any adult female of their color. No difference.

Males by then look different but do not yet look like mature adult males. Blue males have the same barring(basically black stripes on a light brown/tan background) on their wings as the adults do. Their necks also are different- they have lots of blue or green or a vague dark color that more or less give their necks a solid colored appearence.

If your youngsters at this point really are are carbon copies their mothers, they are all females. Males look different enough if you really try to compare.

Peafowls are fully mature at three years, but many are capable of breeding during their second year. The males get their 'full plumage' in their third year.

Janice- how early do you see the difference on the flight feathers?

#80133 - 04/09/03 12:12 PM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thank you all for the replies.I wish I would have ask along time ago but I often feel intimidated, being an amateur chicken raiser, by the "Experts"on The COOP who indirectly, and sometimes directly tell us that we ask stupid questions. We were told that our peafowl are Blackshoulders .They have beautiful blue fluorescent feathers on their necks and in their tail feathers. (It looks like we have all females, except one, according to you folks so thanks alot.). smile smile

#80134 - 04/09/03 12:53 PM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

blue on the babies is a bad sign.
any speck of blue on the neck is a male thing.
not very familiar with black shoulder babiesw but know that the males have a darker thing going on.
the belly spots are blacker and thick.
it sounds like males- if only for the fact that you lost a couple .
rarely did we ever get a clutch of mostly females.
head sexed- look atthe white stripe near eye- it will be wider and not as straight as the males.
the males have a wedge shape slopy head.
if some bird has a fan on top- that measn it is dominant and the fanless ones are weak, doesnt mean male or female.
the female has prominent eyelids (bedroom eyes) and the males eyes are large and bold (eagle eyes)
can yo post pictures of whole flock together?
leg length is usually enoug to tell, but ttheere is a new strain of blue indie that has a longer leg than the common strain- we have one of thes e and he throws the long leg.
these birds are like on stilts

#80135 - 04/09/03 01:09 PM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

by the way without those 'experts' there would be no coop.
besides- it makes the coop the best place on the web for a 'cockfight"!

#80136 - 04/09/03 05:06 PM Re: Sexing Peacocks
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thanks Incubator. I am not modern enough to send pictures from my old computor. I spent all afternoon studying our peafowl and see them in a new light. Thanks again to everyone who gave me information.
P.S. I agree fully with you that the experts are needed(and did not mean to infer anything else) ,as I have learnt mega from them. I only want to feel part of the Family. By watching new posts, it seems apparent to me that when people first join The COOP, they do so because they have some basic questions that have been answered many times before but they don't realize it because they just "got here", hence the repetitions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2