Topic Options
#80189 - 02/27/05 04:23 PM Strange behavior in Guinea
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
One of my Guineas has started to act strangely over the past few days. Around 5pm or so when the horses are brought in, it looks like she's trying to "hide" in corners, the gutter, the hay...All the the places she's trying the "hide" are wide open. I haven't seen her do this during the day, and after about an hour or so, she flys up into the rafters are starts her usual screaming. The horses have never stepped on her, so I don't think she's afraid. Is it possible that she's looking for a spot to nest?? I'm pretty sure that the other Guinea is another female...I hope.
Any one have any ideas??

#80190 - 02/28/05 08:48 AM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Wish I knew for sure. She may be looking for a nesting spot as female guineas tend to set in the open which is why they often don't come home with babies. Where do they normaly roost at night? Could it be something attempted to get at them, and she's afraid when it comes around the time for them to go in for the night? Have you searched around in the spots she goes to for something else that might be getting her upset? Maybe there's snakes around, something. I'm stretching my imagination here, but you never know. She may be giving a warning for some reason. Has she started laying any eggs yet? She may have some hidden in those areas. I'll be curious to know what the cause is. Let me know when you know!! Good Luck

#80191 - 02/28/05 12:15 PM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

At night every one is up in the rafters. And with every thing still froze here I can't think of what might be after her. She's so strange, every where she goes it's in the open, there's not anything to go under or hide behind. The only eggs I can find are from the chickens.
I'm going to bring home a box from work and set it up for her. If she's looking for a spot to nest she should take to it. Guess I'll see.

#80192 - 03/01/05 07:49 AM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
If they free range, she's not likely to take to a nesting box. She'll lay eggs out in the fields, around some bushes maybe, or old wood. I would just keep snooping around and watching her. You may yet run across a clutch of eggs somewhere, but if you haven't had spurts of spring weather like we have, she's probably not laying yet. Mine started laying about a week into January!!

#80193 - 03/01/05 08:33 PM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could be wrong but it really doesn't sound like your guinea is looking for a place to nest...as others have asked/pointed out...something "strange" has probably happened in the places she is doing this at. Could be a mouse ran thru, the hay pile is lower, a pebble rolled right when whe was looking in that direction. guineas are funny like that (mine alerted on a socket wrench in the garage the other day :rolleyes: ).

You would probably be better off just propping a board in the corner f you want to provide the guineas a nesting spot...even then there is no guarantee they will use it. I have a guinea that lays her egg up against the fence where she likes to pace at..she pauses long enough to lay it then starts pacing again. The other's usually lay in a corner in the coop with the ducks eggs. I have only found a guinea egg in an actual nest box twice so far...probably surprised the guinea as much as it did me laugh

Regards,
Zoo

#80194 - 03/02/05 06:38 PM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Anonymous
Unregistered

My guineas prefer to lay under an old feed bunker by the pasture gate. I am such an efficient weed exterminator, the first batch under there was peeping two years ago before I found them and that was AFTER one hen hatched 12 a few weeks before. LOL. The downfall is, they are away from the safety of the coop area and one guinea hen fell prey to the neighbors dogs last fall. Fortunately it was on a week-end and I found her gone in time to save most of the eggs and finish them in the bator. Bad luck to the dogs if they come back next time.....grrrrrrr
I also think the hen is being her usual frantic: "there's a booger under every bush self". Did I understand you that all your guineas are hens? I hope not. She will lay dozins of eggs and near starve to death before abandoning them after weeks and weeks of wait. Assuming a predator doesn't get her first....
My guineas are Homniacs!! Running up and down the fence trying to figure out how to get where they call home maniacs!! I have a guinea and a peacock spending a lot of time together....OMG
they are so ugly when they cross breed!@!! LOL
Sally

#80195 - 03/03/05 09:31 AM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Thanks guys! Yes Sally I think they are both hens. I don't really want a male.
She may have seen a mouse run through the places she's been lurking about (we don't have a barn cat to keep the population down) So I think you're all right when you say something either went through or happened, as she hasn't looked at my make shift nest box.
I have a hard enough time trying to keep track of where the Banty's lay...Those wee buggers lay in the oddest places, sounds like Guinesa are no better :p
Thanks again!!

#80196 - 03/03/05 08:42 PM Re: Strange behavior in Guinea
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing will be for sure, when you find the nest, if it is there awhile, there will be a ga-zillion eggs in it with both of them atop it LOL. You will be able to follow the smell after awhile!!! LOL eek laugh wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2