Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80327 - 01/25/05 07:54 AM guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am planning on getting some guineas this spring. Any adivce on their care or which ones to get.

#80328 - 01/25/05 02:38 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Go to www.gfba.org and check it out. You are smart to do your homework first on guineas. I like guineas, in fact I have around 75 free range guineas. But guineas are not for everyone, especially if you live within shouting distance of your neighbors ( my closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away).
Unless you plan to keep them penned at all times, don't buy adults. They wont stay home. Buy chicks and raise them till they can fly and then gently turn them loose. Buy twice as many as you plan to own, you can always sell a few. All colors are good but the lighter ones (white or buff) are more prone to varmits. Remember if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
Bob

My favorite line about guineas is by my Aunt Faye, who has own and raised every kind of livestock, 2 or 4 legged. She told me you couldn't run fast enough to give her a guinea.

#80329 - 01/25/05 07:08 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
If you have chickens in the same area, the guineas will bully them. I lost my guinea hens to predators, & the 4 males gave the chickens so much trouble, I named them the "guineas from hell". They wouldn't let the roos do their thing,& constantly harassed the hens. When I finally had enough, I gave away 3 males keeping 1, along with a young guinea hen that hatched. Now the male seems to be training the hen to go after the chickens. I'm in the process of introducing new bantys to my free range flock by letting them out of their portable pen a couple of hours a day. That D*%N male will herd them into the pen pecking them until the chooks just huddle up in a pile on the ground, not wanting to get back out of the pen. Now the female has been joining him more often to add to the chickens misery. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share this with those who aren't aware of their behaviour.

#80330 - 01/25/05 08:45 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Droy, you obviously don't have peafowl..LOL
1 peacock or peahen can distract a flock of guineas beyond imagination. They can also breed as a peafowl is close cousin to the guinea and the guinea male is always in want of the peahen :rolleyes: not that she cares an iota for him hahaha. I have had as many as 40 running around here but the demand is too hagh so I sell off to the bare minimum in the winter and raise more in the summer. The french guinea is the biggest and very hardy followed by the pearl, the pied, purple,lavender, buff, white etc.
Good luck with your choices.
Sally

#80331 - 01/26/05 06:46 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Hi Sally, do I understand your post correctly that if I got a peacock, or pea hen that they would take the guineas attention away from harrassing the chickens? Right now I'm down to one male, & one female guinea, but they just can't seem to leave the chickens alone. Would a peahen be able to whup a male guinea ? How would the two females act together? Just thinking about a peahen aggrivating those two has me crying tears of joy!!!!!!

#80332 - 01/26/05 08:05 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

well,droy,
It will certainly give them something bigger to try to pick on!! My peacocks that are free range keep the guineas so busy the chickens manage to get in under the wire...LOL Let me know if you want to rent or buy some, pretty cheap too as I am cutting back.
Sallyu

#80333 - 01/27/05 02:15 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
I have not found guineas to be unusally agressive towards chickens and mine are free to mingle with my wifes laying hens. Some of our guineas choose to roost in the hen house.

I will say this, we cull for temperment as much as anything. I consider our place a community and if you do not behave you are culled, period.
There are pecking orders and such but once your point is made, its over. This attitude is applied to all animals,- birds, dogs, cats, goats, horses and cattle.

Bob

#80334 - 01/27/05 07:35 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

After bobcat got guinea that was laying,we placed some of her eggs under a setting bantam, along with a couple of eggs from a standard buff orp. The poor bantam had to be surprised when the hatching started, 1 guinea, 2 standards, & 3 of her own. Growing up with the chicks, the guinea hen wasn't aggressive at all, but now she's realizing that she isn't a chicken, & as I stated in earlier post, the male seems to be teaching her his tricks of terrorizing the clan. I don't know much about poultry, but I think this agression is way more than establishing the pecking order.

#80335 - 01/27/05 08:06 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Sally Wheeler;
Please check your pm, you've got me doing some heavy duty thinking about a peacock project.

#80336 - 01/28/05 06:56 AM Re: guineas
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
I have my 2 Guineas with my hens 24/7 and the hens rule the roost. Once or twice one of the Guineas will try and put the run on a hen but Rip (the boss hen) kyboshes the idea very quickly. The Guineas are in love with the youngest hen and call for her when they can't find her. The rule here is very much the same as Yegua308's, if you can't get along you get the boot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2