Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80337 - 01/28/05 07:42 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can boot guineas all day long then, because they are not, and never will, comform to regular chicken ways. They can, and do, get along and house together, but, they are not common domestic fowl. They are gamebirds by all standards. They, and peafowl, are related and of the same genus and can and do crossbreed in some situations. MANY times my male guinea gives the big puppy eyes at one of my peahens and tries to exert his will on her. Naturally her mate squashes these amorous approaches, but, he still tries. Pecking order or not, the only time I have ever culled a guinea for his attitude was when he killed other birds and attacked me. Yup!! IN THE FREEZER with him!! wink I cull the roosters chickens more harshly but only for people aggression. The guineas, peafowl, Key West chickens, various other chickens at times, an occasional duck, a few "free range" rabbits and a pot belly pig go wherever they want, intermingle with the cats, dogs, horses and goats and just deal with it.
In the pens I have bantam stizzles and young modern gamebirds co-habitating with silver phesants and red goldens....no worries...no deaths, maybe a feather or 2 plucked but that's the way it is.

#80338 - 01/29/05 06:02 AM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Quote:
You can boot guineas all day long then, because they are not, and never will, comform to regular chicken ways
Pecking order or not, the only time I have ever culled a guinea for his attitude was when he killed other birds and attacked me. [QUOTE]

No one is advocating making guineas conform to "regular chicken ways". Only to behave within a group. Which from the rest of your post appears you do the same.
Bob

#80339 - 01/29/05 08:54 AM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Ridekool, were your guinea raised from hatching with the chickens? What breed are they? I'm trying to figure why mine are so aggressive. When I bought my first batch of chicks from the local feed store, I also purchased 6 guinea keats (french & pearl) kept them in the same pen til they started getting larger than the bantams, then I placed them in side by side cages, separated by hardware cloth, guinea keats & standard chicks together, & bantams next door. Didn't notice a bullying problem until I released them in large checken yard, (later free ranging). After predators got the females, & left me with 4 males, it got worse. Now down to 1 male, 1 female, still have the bully problem.I think I may have already asked this , but does anyone know if any one breed of guinea would tend to be better mannered than the other? "Yes mam, No sir", opening gates for the lady chicks, etc?

#80340 - 01/29/05 10:27 AM Re: guineas
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think Guineas are a bird I love to hate. I have tried them several times and if they would just shut up they would not become target practice. I am tempted to give em another try, but they are so like opossums and pocupines, kind of neanderthal. Their biggest drawback is every time they open their mouths I am reminded of Hillary Clinton and I just wish they would go away!! (there is a difference tho, I want to like the Guineas)

#80341 - 01/29/05 11:40 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol Rob, no need to try them again. They've not changed, nor do I think they ever will. In my 30+ years of being around them they've ALWAYS been noisy. While I'm sure a pair won't be as bad, I've got 27!

#80342 - 01/29/05 12:34 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
rob & R.Todd Funny Posts!!! Weird, but their noise doesn't bother me that much; (1) seldom home, (2) HARD of hearing & don't wear hearing aids. The terrorizing of the chickens is my big thing, & neighbors wish they would quit using the backs of their wrought iron patio funiture as their toilets. Patio furniture = excellent guinea laxitive.
P. S. rob - 10,000 guinea & hearing aids are better than MS Clinton !!!!!!!!!!! IMO

#80343 - 01/30/05 05:51 AM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Droy,
I don't know about the others, but our guinea chicks are brooded with our chickens. I don't know if it helps but it can't hurt.

R. Todd,
27 guineas? Must be nice. Thats about my target number every year(30-40), but the last couple of years things have gone arye. I normally turn loose about 30 to cover my losses from owls and bobcats ect but I must have been doing a little better on predator control because I did a late night tree count recently and we have about 75. I don't plan on turning but a few loose this year.
They all roost within 75 yards of the house, its like living next to the airport, but worth it.
Bob

#80344 - 01/30/05 09:24 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bob,
What I meant by my post is that I will not tolerate ANY of my animals attacking people. Period. As to their antics in the yard, they just "get along" or figure out how to "get away". I don't step in unless I see death and brutal destruction and as I said, it has only happened 1 time from a guinea in all my years of having poultry. Never from a peafowl and only roos against roos otherwise. They work it out. Never had one out and out killed, that I remember.

Rob, you crack me up too!!! LOL Hillery huh? hmm
R.Todd, I have 6 running loose but add that to a dozen peafowl loose, a dozen more in pens, a dozen roos acrowing, a LOT of hens acackling ... LOL and a partridge in a pear tree!! laugh

#80345 - 01/30/05 12:26 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Sally,
I agree on the animals attacking people.

My wife went into a stall to get hay for our goats and there was a guinea on a nest in there. She had been in there for 4 weeks and we were use to her, but this time was different, she had chicks. When my wife got too close, the guinea hen attacked her. It flew into her face, grabbed her head with her wings and procceded to claw my wifes face. I grabbed the hen and threw her and helped my wife into the house. When I came back the hen was leading her chicks off. I asked my wife if she wanted me to dispose of the hen and she replied that the hen was only doing what she would have done and that I was to leave it alone. In all the years we have had guineas this is the only case of guinea attack that we have ever witnessed.
It also suprised us because as we all know most guineas are not that greatest of mothers.

Bob

#80346 - 01/30/05 03:07 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen several that were not the best mothers but excellent at protecting the ones that someone managed to survive.
Hope the wife faired well, a guinea can do damage.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2