Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80347 - 01/30/05 05:48 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
R. Todd,
Thanks for your concern but my wife is just fine, a little more respectful of guinea hens, but fine. She is a Cajun , postal employee with 2 semi automatic weapons, a little guinea attack may slow her down but not stop her.

I believe guinea hens get a bad rap for being bad mothers. To me it is more of them being out of their element than any thing else. Over the years I always have at least a couple hens raise a few chicks to the point of getting them to roost in the trees. Its just easier for everyone to say that they are bad mothers.
Bob

#80348 - 01/31/05 07:02 AM Re: guineas
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Hi Dory,
I got my Guineas from a breeder not far from where I live. They were fully feathered when I got them but where still small (they were maybe a month or two old???)Anyway, to answer your question, they're pearl (white?)and no they weren't raised with chickens. The guy kept the guineas in with turkey chicks inside the chicken coop (very little space for so many birds frown ) When I brought them home I kept them in a cage that I'd move outside to inside the barn at night...So they'd have an idea where they were to go. The Gunieas just kinda adopted the youngest hen Charlette. They are by no means "chicken like" but they do get along with one another. The largest Guinea is kinda...stupid, she'll make all sorts of noise when the horses get fed at night, no matter how much trouble she get's in. The other smaller guinea is more or less quiet, he/she seems know that the lounder you are, the more you get yelled at. The larger one is also more agressive, she hasn't done anything yet, but the odd time I'll hear her hiss after I give her "the look" to "SHUT UP!!" yet again, and walk away. I did catch her once (I just carried her around for a bit as "punishmet" for being anoying) She was quieter for a few days afterwards. wink I'm also not to sure if my Guineas are male and female, they may be 2 females, so I don't know if that would make much of a difference, that and Rip (as in "if you touch me while I'm on my nest I'll make you bleed") made it very clear just after I let the Gunieas out who was boss...and it sure isn't them!

#80349 - 01/31/05 04:48 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Whenever I caught our guinea bullying the pullets & cockerel in the portable pen I'd pickup a 1/2"x 5' peice of plastic pipe & go after them. Now if I grab the pipe, or walk around with a shovel, or something "sticklike", they're running for the bushes. I'm nowhere near an expert, but really don't think this is anything near the pecking order thing, it's out & out harrassment, & terrorizing the younger ones. The guineas drew FIRST BLOOD !!. I haven't killed or crippled any yet, but if the male guinea sees me with the plastic pipe, & can't make it to the bushes, he has jumped into the pond, & swam with the ducks for awhile. That move tickles me.

#80350 - 02/01/05 09:39 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

#80351 - 02/01/05 09:45 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

MY wife calls those pretty things from the previous post.. "spawns from hell".
Which leads me to believe she is really a city girl and has no taste for "guinea rapp"
I've got 25 whites and 2pearls... they are agressive at times to one another. And other than culling them, there is no other solution I've found to stop the behavior toward other birds. Most of the time it's just a show of agression and having enough room for them to move away ends the aggressiveness promptly. I've never seen a very heated fight attach unless it was when introducing new roos to a flock. What they really need is room to move!

#80352 - 02/01/05 10:11 AM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Hello R.Todd; I have a pen approx. 20'x30', with the 8'x8' coop inside - the gate stays open so they can free range. I'm in the process of introducing 12 assorted bantam pullets, & 1 cockerel to the flock. Their portable pen has been near the gate to the "coop" pen, for exposure purposes. I open the portable pen in the a/m & close them in @ nite when the others go in the coop to roost. During the day the guinea will go into the portable pen & attack the young'uns. Just now I returned from running errands, the young guinea hen was inside the pen, attacking, the male standing outside, I guess watching for me. When I walked to the large pen & grabbed my plastic pipe, he sounded an alarm, the pair hightailed it. This goes on several times a day, & seems to me some fairly vicious attacks. Think I'll get rid of those two, & try different colored ones maybe luck will change.

#80353 - 02/01/05 11:14 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

EAT THEM!
They're delicious over rice! And I am SURE you can find some spices in Louisisana to enhance it even better!

#80354 - 02/03/05 08:31 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,
what a lively interesting chat here eh? I must revise a post I made earlier. Due to the attack post of Yegua's wife, I realized that I do not, and would not, EVER cull an animal that was trying to protect it's young. My guineas are no match for me when it comes to gathering hatched chicks, however, they DO try to defeat my purpose!! wink .
I use a net on a long handle and actually catch the parents, then gather the chicks for sale. I choose 2 or 3 to keep and leave them with the adults. In a few minutes they have settled down and went about their parenting job with a seemingly undaunted attitude. My guineas always team up and share the nests and parenting. I also have one adult that was raised with chickens. She always hangs with the guineas during the day, but, always roosts with the Key West chickens ...ALWAYS. If I go out there after dark, she doesn't know it is me. She knows something is there and hisses and strikes out as if protecting the chickens or herself....THAT is acceptable. My bad if I get in her aim.
Sally

#80355 - 02/13/05 01:46 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some quick advice...

1) Learn to love the noise! I had one hen (we called her "Shake and Bake" because that was going to be her destiny one day if she didn't be quiet wink ) that didn't shut up until she got broody. Non-stop "buckwheat" noise all day long until total darkness. The males will squawk when danger approaches, a crow flys over, etc. and when a hen gets lost in the underbrush.

Guinea sounds: http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sounds

2) Buy keets (guinea chicks) and hand raise them if possible. Mine are hand tamed so I can pick them up off the ground and put them in the coop at night when they get stubborn (often). They will go into the coop for 2 weeks and then one day decide not to go in at night. Did I say that they are sometimes stubborn? smile

3) Let your neighbors in on your potential flock. My nearest neighbor is over 1000 feet away. They still wander over to their yard. Fortunately, they love seeing them. We bought ours to cut down on the deer tick population and they do a terrific job.

You either love them or hate them. I enjoy them immensely and so does my family. Like all other animals you'll have intelligent ones and ones that are dumber than rocks. This all adds to the entertainment of watching the flock.

Read up as much as possible and go see a local flock if possible.

Good luck!

- Rob

#80356 - 02/15/05 11:25 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/amigocontodos/Pearlsandwhites.jpg

I love to hear them too...especially the call of the hens on the hill across the way.
Startle them and now, that's a different call all together

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2