Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80327 - 01/25/05 07:54 AM guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am planning on getting some guineas this spring. Any adivce on their care or which ones to get.

#80328 - 01/25/05 02:38 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Go to www.gfba.org and check it out. You are smart to do your homework first on guineas. I like guineas, in fact I have around 75 free range guineas. But guineas are not for everyone, especially if you live within shouting distance of your neighbors ( my closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away).
Unless you plan to keep them penned at all times, don't buy adults. They wont stay home. Buy chicks and raise them till they can fly and then gently turn them loose. Buy twice as many as you plan to own, you can always sell a few. All colors are good but the lighter ones (white or buff) are more prone to varmits. Remember if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
Bob

My favorite line about guineas is by my Aunt Faye, who has own and raised every kind of livestock, 2 or 4 legged. She told me you couldn't run fast enough to give her a guinea.

#80329 - 01/25/05 07:08 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
If you have chickens in the same area, the guineas will bully them. I lost my guinea hens to predators, & the 4 males gave the chickens so much trouble, I named them the "guineas from hell". They wouldn't let the roos do their thing,& constantly harassed the hens. When I finally had enough, I gave away 3 males keeping 1, along with a young guinea hen that hatched. Now the male seems to be training the hen to go after the chickens. I'm in the process of introducing new bantys to my free range flock by letting them out of their portable pen a couple of hours a day. That D*%N male will herd them into the pen pecking them until the chooks just huddle up in a pile on the ground, not wanting to get back out of the pen. Now the female has been joining him more often to add to the chickens misery. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share this with those who aren't aware of their behaviour.

#80330 - 01/25/05 08:45 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Droy, you obviously don't have peafowl..LOL
1 peacock or peahen can distract a flock of guineas beyond imagination. They can also breed as a peafowl is close cousin to the guinea and the guinea male is always in want of the peahen :rolleyes: not that she cares an iota for him hahaha. I have had as many as 40 running around here but the demand is too hagh so I sell off to the bare minimum in the winter and raise more in the summer. The french guinea is the biggest and very hardy followed by the pearl, the pied, purple,lavender, buff, white etc.
Good luck with your choices.
Sally

#80331 - 01/26/05 06:46 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Hi Sally, do I understand your post correctly that if I got a peacock, or pea hen that they would take the guineas attention away from harrassing the chickens? Right now I'm down to one male, & one female guinea, but they just can't seem to leave the chickens alone. Would a peahen be able to whup a male guinea ? How would the two females act together? Just thinking about a peahen aggrivating those two has me crying tears of joy!!!!!!

#80332 - 01/26/05 08:05 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

well,droy,
It will certainly give them something bigger to try to pick on!! My peacocks that are free range keep the guineas so busy the chickens manage to get in under the wire...LOL Let me know if you want to rent or buy some, pretty cheap too as I am cutting back.
Sallyu

#80333 - 01/27/05 02:15 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

I have not found guineas to be unusally agressive towards chickens and mine are free to mingle with my wifes laying hens. Some of our guineas choose to roost in the hen house.

I will say this, we cull for temperment as much as anything. I consider our place a community and if you do not behave you are culled, period.
There are pecking orders and such but once your point is made, its over. This attitude is applied to all animals,- birds, dogs, cats, goats, horses and cattle.

Bob

#80334 - 01/27/05 07:35 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

After bobcat got guinea that was laying,we placed some of her eggs under a setting bantam, along with a couple of eggs from a standard buff orp. The poor bantam had to be surprised when the hatching started, 1 guinea, 2 standards, & 3 of her own. Growing up with the chicks, the guinea hen wasn't aggressive at all, but now she's realizing that she isn't a chicken, & as I stated in earlier post, the male seems to be teaching her his tricks of terrorizing the clan. I don't know much about poultry, but I think this agression is way more than establishing the pecking order.

#80335 - 01/27/05 08:06 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Sally Wheeler;
Please check your pm, you've got me doing some heavy duty thinking about a peacock project.

#80336 - 01/28/05 06:56 AM Re: guineas
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
I have my 2 Guineas with my hens 24/7 and the hens rule the roost. Once or twice one of the Guineas will try and put the run on a hen but Rip (the boss hen) kyboshes the idea very quickly. The Guineas are in love with the youngest hen and call for her when they can't find her. The rule here is very much the same as Yegua308's, if you can't get along you get the boot.

#80337 - 01/28/05 07:42 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can boot guineas all day long then, because they are not, and never will, comform to regular chicken ways. They can, and do, get along and house together, but, they are not common domestic fowl. They are gamebirds by all standards. They, and peafowl, are related and of the same genus and can and do crossbreed in some situations. MANY times my male guinea gives the big puppy eyes at one of my peahens and tries to exert his will on her. Naturally her mate squashes these amorous approaches, but, he still tries. Pecking order or not, the only time I have ever culled a guinea for his attitude was when he killed other birds and attacked me. Yup!! IN THE FREEZER with him!! wink I cull the roosters chickens more harshly but only for people aggression. The guineas, peafowl, Key West chickens, various other chickens at times, an occasional duck, a few "free range" rabbits and a pot belly pig go wherever they want, intermingle with the cats, dogs, horses and goats and just deal with it.
In the pens I have bantam stizzles and young modern gamebirds co-habitating with silver phesants and red goldens....no worries...no deaths, maybe a feather or 2 plucked but that's the way it is.

#80338 - 01/29/05 06:02 AM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Quote:
You can boot guineas all day long then, because they are not, and never will, comform to regular chicken ways
Pecking order or not, the only time I have ever culled a guinea for his attitude was when he killed other birds and attacked me. [QUOTE]

No one is advocating making guineas conform to "regular chicken ways". Only to behave within a group. Which from the rest of your post appears you do the same.
Bob

#80339 - 01/29/05 08:54 AM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Hi Ridekool, were your guinea raised from hatching with the chickens? What breed are they? I'm trying to figure why mine are so aggressive. When I bought my first batch of chicks from the local feed store, I also purchased 6 guinea keats (french & pearl) kept them in the same pen til they started getting larger than the bantams, then I placed them in side by side cages, separated by hardware cloth, guinea keats & standard chicks together, & bantams next door. Didn't notice a bullying problem until I released them in large checken yard, (later free ranging). After predators got the females, & left me with 4 males, it got worse. Now down to 1 male, 1 female, still have the bully problem.I think I may have already asked this , but does anyone know if any one breed of guinea would tend to be better mannered than the other? "Yes mam, No sir", opening gates for the lady chicks, etc?

#80340 - 01/29/05 10:27 AM Re: guineas
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think Guineas are a bird I love to hate. I have tried them several times and if they would just shut up they would not become target practice. I am tempted to give em another try, but they are so like opossums and pocupines, kind of neanderthal. Their biggest drawback is every time they open their mouths I am reminded of Hillary Clinton and I just wish they would go away!! (there is a difference tho, I want to like the Guineas)

#80341 - 01/29/05 11:40 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol Rob, no need to try them again. They've not changed, nor do I think they ever will. In my 30+ years of being around them they've ALWAYS been noisy. While I'm sure a pair won't be as bad, I've got 27!

#80342 - 01/29/05 12:34 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

rob & R.Todd Funny Posts!!! Weird, but their noise doesn't bother me that much; (1) seldom home, (2) HARD of hearing & don't wear hearing aids. The terrorizing of the chickens is my big thing, & neighbors wish they would quit using the backs of their wrought iron patio funiture as their toilets. Patio furniture = excellent guinea laxitive.
P. S. rob - 10,000 guinea & hearing aids are better than MS Clinton !!!!!!!!!!! IMO

#80343 - 01/30/05 05:51 AM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Droy,
I don't know about the others, but our guinea chicks are brooded with our chickens. I don't know if it helps but it can't hurt.

R. Todd,
27 guineas? Must be nice. Thats about my target number every year(30-40), but the last couple of years things have gone arye. I normally turn loose about 30 to cover my losses from owls and bobcats ect but I must have been doing a little better on predator control because I did a late night tree count recently and we have about 75. I don't plan on turning but a few loose this year.
They all roost within 75 yards of the house, its like living next to the airport, but worth it.
Bob

#80344 - 01/30/05 09:24 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bob,
What I meant by my post is that I will not tolerate ANY of my animals attacking people. Period. As to their antics in the yard, they just "get along" or figure out how to "get away". I don't step in unless I see death and brutal destruction and as I said, it has only happened 1 time from a guinea in all my years of having poultry. Never from a peafowl and only roos against roos otherwise. They work it out. Never had one out and out killed, that I remember.

Rob, you crack me up too!!! LOL Hillery huh? hmm
R.Todd, I have 6 running loose but add that to a dozen peafowl loose, a dozen more in pens, a dozen roos acrowing, a LOT of hens acackling ... LOL and a partridge in a pear tree!! laugh

#80345 - 01/30/05 12:26 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

Sally,
I agree on the animals attacking people.

My wife went into a stall to get hay for our goats and there was a guinea on a nest in there. She had been in there for 4 weeks and we were use to her, but this time was different, she had chicks. When my wife got too close, the guinea hen attacked her. It flew into her face, grabbed her head with her wings and procceded to claw my wifes face. I grabbed the hen and threw her and helped my wife into the house. When I came back the hen was leading her chicks off. I asked my wife if she wanted me to dispose of the hen and she replied that the hen was only doing what she would have done and that I was to leave it alone. In all the years we have had guineas this is the only case of guinea attack that we have ever witnessed.
It also suprised us because as we all know most guineas are not that greatest of mothers.

Bob

#80346 - 01/30/05 03:07 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen several that were not the best mothers but excellent at protecting the ones that someone managed to survive.
Hope the wife faired well, a guinea can do damage.

#80347 - 01/30/05 05:48 PM Re: guineas
Yegua308 Offline
Chicken

R. Todd,
Thanks for your concern but my wife is just fine, a little more respectful of guinea hens, but fine. She is a Cajun , postal employee with 2 semi automatic weapons, a little guinea attack may slow her down but not stop her.

I believe guinea hens get a bad rap for being bad mothers. To me it is more of them being out of their element than any thing else. Over the years I always have at least a couple hens raise a few chicks to the point of getting them to roost in the trees. Its just easier for everyone to say that they are bad mothers.
Bob

#80348 - 01/31/05 07:02 AM Re: guineas
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Hi Dory,
I got my Guineas from a breeder not far from where I live. They were fully feathered when I got them but where still small (they were maybe a month or two old???)Anyway, to answer your question, they're pearl (white?)and no they weren't raised with chickens. The guy kept the guineas in with turkey chicks inside the chicken coop (very little space for so many birds frown ) When I brought them home I kept them in a cage that I'd move outside to inside the barn at night...So they'd have an idea where they were to go. The Gunieas just kinda adopted the youngest hen Charlette. They are by no means "chicken like" but they do get along with one another. The largest Guinea is kinda...stupid, she'll make all sorts of noise when the horses get fed at night, no matter how much trouble she get's in. The other smaller guinea is more or less quiet, he/she seems know that the lounder you are, the more you get yelled at. The larger one is also more agressive, she hasn't done anything yet, but the odd time I'll hear her hiss after I give her "the look" to "SHUT UP!!" yet again, and walk away. I did catch her once (I just carried her around for a bit as "punishmet" for being anoying) She was quieter for a few days afterwards. wink I'm also not to sure if my Guineas are male and female, they may be 2 females, so I don't know if that would make much of a difference, that and Rip (as in "if you touch me while I'm on my nest I'll make you bleed") made it very clear just after I let the Gunieas out who was boss...and it sure isn't them!

#80349 - 01/31/05 04:48 PM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Whenever I caught our guinea bullying the pullets & cockerel in the portable pen I'd pickup a 1/2"x 5' peice of plastic pipe & go after them. Now if I grab the pipe, or walk around with a shovel, or something "sticklike", they're running for the bushes. I'm nowhere near an expert, but really don't think this is anything near the pecking order thing, it's out & out harrassment, & terrorizing the younger ones. The guineas drew FIRST BLOOD !!. I haven't killed or crippled any yet, but if the male guinea sees me with the plastic pipe, & can't make it to the bushes, he has jumped into the pond, & swam with the ducks for awhile. That move tickles me.

#80350 - 02/01/05 09:39 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

#80351 - 02/01/05 09:45 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

MY wife calls those pretty things from the previous post.. "spawns from hell".
Which leads me to believe she is really a city girl and has no taste for "guinea rapp"
I've got 25 whites and 2pearls... they are agressive at times to one another. And other than culling them, there is no other solution I've found to stop the behavior toward other birds. Most of the time it's just a show of agression and having enough room for them to move away ends the aggressiveness promptly. I've never seen a very heated fight attach unless it was when introducing new roos to a flock. What they really need is room to move!

#80352 - 02/01/05 10:11 AM Re: guineas
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Hello R.Todd; I have a pen approx. 20'x30', with the 8'x8' coop inside - the gate stays open so they can free range. I'm in the process of introducing 12 assorted bantam pullets, & 1 cockerel to the flock. Their portable pen has been near the gate to the "coop" pen, for exposure purposes. I open the portable pen in the a/m & close them in @ nite when the others go in the coop to roost. During the day the guinea will go into the portable pen & attack the young'uns. Just now I returned from running errands, the young guinea hen was inside the pen, attacking, the male standing outside, I guess watching for me. When I walked to the large pen & grabbed my plastic pipe, he sounded an alarm, the pair hightailed it. This goes on several times a day, & seems to me some fairly vicious attacks. Think I'll get rid of those two, & try different colored ones maybe luck will change.

#80353 - 02/01/05 11:14 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

EAT THEM!
They're delicious over rice! And I am SURE you can find some spices in Louisisana to enhance it even better!

#80354 - 02/03/05 08:31 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,
what a lively interesting chat here eh? I must revise a post I made earlier. Due to the attack post of Yegua's wife, I realized that I do not, and would not, EVER cull an animal that was trying to protect it's young. My guineas are no match for me when it comes to gathering hatched chicks, however, they DO try to defeat my purpose!! wink .
I use a net on a long handle and actually catch the parents, then gather the chicks for sale. I choose 2 or 3 to keep and leave them with the adults. In a few minutes they have settled down and went about their parenting job with a seemingly undaunted attitude. My guineas always team up and share the nests and parenting. I also have one adult that was raised with chickens. She always hangs with the guineas during the day, but, always roosts with the Key West chickens ...ALWAYS. If I go out there after dark, she doesn't know it is me. She knows something is there and hisses and strikes out as if protecting the chickens or herself....THAT is acceptable. My bad if I get in her aim.
Sally

#80355 - 02/13/05 01:46 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some quick advice...

1) Learn to love the noise! I had one hen (we called her "Shake and Bake" because that was going to be her destiny one day if she didn't be quiet wink ) that didn't shut up until she got broody. Non-stop "buckwheat" noise all day long until total darkness. The males will squawk when danger approaches, a crow flys over, etc. and when a hen gets lost in the underbrush.

Guinea sounds: http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sounds

2) Buy keets (guinea chicks) and hand raise them if possible. Mine are hand tamed so I can pick them up off the ground and put them in the coop at night when they get stubborn (often). They will go into the coop for 2 weeks and then one day decide not to go in at night. Did I say that they are sometimes stubborn? smile

3) Let your neighbors in on your potential flock. My nearest neighbor is over 1000 feet away. They still wander over to their yard. Fortunately, they love seeing them. We bought ours to cut down on the deer tick population and they do a terrific job.

You either love them or hate them. I enjoy them immensely and so does my family. Like all other animals you'll have intelligent ones and ones that are dumber than rocks. This all adds to the entertainment of watching the flock.

Read up as much as possible and go see a local flock if possible.

Good luck!

- Rob

#80356 - 02/15/05 11:25 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/amigocontodos/Pearlsandwhites.jpg

I love to hear them too...especially the call of the hens on the hill across the way.
Startle them and now, that's a different call all together

#80357 - 02/17/05 04:06 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lots of hawk food in that picture! smile I'm a little bit hesitant about owning whites or buffs as I have a pretty good hawk population here. They stand out pretty good.

Had a juvenile redtail pin one of my pied guinea hens under a laurel bush. I think the noise spooked the hawk and he flew off but there were still tons of feathers on the ground. He was very awkward and probably pretty hungry to try that size of a prey.

- Rob

#80358 - 02/17/05 07:33 PM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have hawks here too..and to date, I've not lost a single one to them. (KNOCK ON WOOD)
It seems that the guineas are a whole lot more alert than the bantams and keep a better eye on the air. If fact, the bantams have learned to listen to the guineas and scram at the sound of the alarm. I'm going to be selling a few of the roosters, so I'm not sure how that will changet the "security system".

#80359 - 02/18/05 10:50 AM Re: guineas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Todd:

It seems that the guineas are a whole lot more alert than the bantams and keep a better eye on the air.
That's the truth. Mine squawk at dragonflies! smile

- Rob

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2