Topic Options
#80379 - 05/06/05 09:11 AM Grow out pens for young Peafowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone have any plans on building wire bottom pens to raise peachicks in after you take them off of heat? I need to build some pens to keep them in until they are about 6 months old. Any help will be apprecitated.

Wayne

#80380 - 05/07/05 06:37 PM Re: Grow out pens for young Peafowl
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I have one pen right now that is awesome. It is 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep. It is all pressure treated wood framework of 2x4's. The floor is half by one welded wire braced every 16 inches. The sides are 4 foot high and also framed and set with half by 1 wire. The roof is PT plywood and rubber coated. It is on legs that the center framed door is waist high to me, about 3ft. I use it for hens and chicks even if under lights. In the winter I close 3 sides with a tarp and have a blanket that hooks closed at night but that I can open in daytime if weather is decent. I have a light hanging for as needed use, an automatic feeder that holds 11#'s and a 2 gallon automatic waterer. I can house up to a dozen peachicks, or more in emergencies, for up to 3 months old. I have had 4 in it easily till they were 8 months old when my pens were down from the hurricanes.
It cost about $100.00 to build but is totally predator proof including snakes.
Sally

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2