Topic Options
#80441 - 07/24/03 08:41 PM Breeding guinea fowl for the table.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am planning to put a dozen guinea fowl eggs under a broody hen. I want to breed them for the table, and was wondering how old they have to be to eat them (have a reasonable amount of flesh)? The other main question is, when do they start making the loud screaching noises? Before they are ready to eat or after?

Thank-you

#80442 - 07/27/03 11:22 AM Re: Breeding guinea fowl for the table.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey smile

A couple of my keets started "butt crackin" when they were 7 weeks. I have only heard 2 of them going at a time. They are 9 weeks now. They are not yet as loud as the older ones can be sometimes. I'll try and find out how old they should be to eat smile

Good luck...

#80443 - 07/27/03 06:35 PM Re: Breeding guinea fowl for the table.
Anonymous
Unregistered

you cannot leave the keets with the chicken hen. they will scatter at the first noise and squeeze out the smallest hole and die.
birds must be confined to a very small solid pen until they learn the cluck of the hen.at least a week.

#80444 - 07/28/03 08:18 AM Re: Breeding guinea fowl for the table.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I disagree... wink

If the eggs are under the chicken... the keets will hear the hen cluck before they emerge from the egg. The keets will think they are chickens too... Just like the ugly duckling thought it was a duck...
I have heard that silkies are the BEST mothers.
Unless you want to incubate them yourself.

Good luck!

#80445 - 07/28/03 02:36 PM Re: Breeding guinea fowl for the table.
Anonymous
Unregistered

THanks for your advise. I am planning on using a silky X as the mother, and I have a shed and small yard that I will be empting soon, so I'll keep them in the shed for the first week or so, and let them out when they are a bit bigger.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2