Topic Options
#80459 - 09/19/04 08:25 PM age guineas start laying
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi Does anyone know at what age guineas start to lay eggs? thanks so much

#80460 - 09/20/04 07:15 AM Re: age guineas start laying
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not really sure what the actual age they start laying but they do not lay as the chicken does. They lay their eggs early in the spring and some lay into July and August. I have 24 that are 16 and 18 weeks old and I've not seen any eggs. I know they are not laying because I have them cooped in a huge hut off the ground.
What kind of guineas do you have?

#80461 - 09/20/04 07:46 AM Re: age guineas start laying
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have Pearls. Will they nest up in a nesting box? or will they nest on the ground?
thanx

#80462 - 09/20/04 08:15 AM Re: age guineas start laying
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I've not seen any of my guineas use a nesting box. Mine (before I moved),preferred to go out in fields, or between woodpiles, etc. to lay their eggs. They have been cooped since I moved, so I'm getting eggs I might not otherwise find if they were free ranging. I bought babies this year,(I think in April), and I believe the first egg I got from them was in July.

#80463 - 09/20/04 08:59 AM Re: age guineas start laying
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeep,
according to sources, guineas can lay at age 16 weeks and up. I don't believe I ever had any that young lay tho. Mine will use the ground nesting boxes but are just as happy leaving them on the ground under stuff. It is seasonally late but I have a young hen from early spring starting to lay now. It has been an odd year. My guineas did not lay a single egg till the first hurricane came through eek what's up with that??
We are talking seasoned hens 1 and 2 years old. Now, all 3 are laying!! OH BROTHER LOL.
It was also a weird season for the peafowl too and my phesants never laid a single egg (silver backs...1 yr. old.
I did a search under guinea poultry sites here on yahoo and came up with a LOT of great hits. You will find everything you need to know...I sure did.
Sally
this is not a search in the classroom forum but actually a YAHOO search

#80464 - 09/20/04 02:00 PM Re: age guineas start laying
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi Sally,
Well, you figure the beginning of April till near the end of July, almost four months. That first egg was really tiny!! I know I didn't get another for about a week or so. The one hen was just testing her production process I guess wink . My peahen hasn't laid an egg yet, and she's about two years old now. I think someone here mentioned that peahens can take that long before they start to lay? I'm not even sure she's letting PC 'get her' if you know what I mean! This weather has been awfully strange. Maybe the hurricane scared the girls into action! I know one site that's neat to check out is guineafowl.com.

#80465 - 10/11/04 01:18 PM Re: age guineas start laying
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I think our guineas starting laying eggs when they were about six months old. At first, they laid them on the floor next to the waterer ... and now they lay them up in the laying boxes where our hens lay.

#80466 - 10/11/04 07:43 PM Re: age guineas start laying
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi Tambar,
You are lucky that the guineas will use the nesting boxes!!!

#80467 - 10/12/04 06:54 AM Re: age guineas start laying
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tambar,
How high off the ground are your nest, and is there anything particular that you've done that you think has made the guineas use them instead of laying on the ground?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2