Topic Options
#80490 - 12/06/03 01:42 PM peafowl genetics
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Anyone familiar with a site dealing with peafowl genetics. I found 1 but it is totally confusing(3 peas). It seems to just use made up symbols. (BS) for black shouldered; (TT) for white because (w) is already taken?? et cetera.

#80491 - 12/07/03 11:23 AM Re: peafowl genetics
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Hi, Rob, yes, that's Valerie Farris' site. I find it kind of confusing, too. I don't know what the gene symbols are "officially" for peafowl, but BS is certainly the common shorthand for Blackshoulder, as IB is for India Blue. Once you work through the idea that the gene symbols are odd and understand what is meant by IB being both a pattern and a colour gene (that one threw me for awhile, but in retrospect it's just like calling Bronze in turkeys a pattern gene (barred wings) and a colour gene as well), it's not a bad site for the basics. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot of other combinations of peafowl colours that it would be nice to know about, and those aren't presented there. There is a real lack in peafowl genetic books, too.

Jennifer

#80492 - 12/07/03 12:37 PM Re: peafowl genetics
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks Jennifer, Those symbols would work ok if ones omly interest was breeding peafowl and you had,nt been working w. poultry genetics I guess. There are no good books on peafowl either. I have the ones by Fett and another from Stromberg. They were a nearly a waste of money. Guess I,ll keep lookin.

#80493 - 12/07/03 07:47 PM Re: peafowl genetics
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
OMG YOU ALL MUST CHECK OUT... MOPFOWL@AOL.COM
They are by far one of the largest peafowl breeders in the country!!! I believe they have every color variation known to man!!! they also
have the new "Midnight" color. They are developing it with huge success. Their web-site
is awesome. I am buying a pair of birds from them
this month. I am soooo excited!!!!
Enjoy and let me know what you think of them.
BTW...It was on this foram that I too was told about them :-)

#80494 - 12/09/03 04:53 AM Re: peafowl genetics
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Legg's Peafowl does have some information on the genetics of the different patterns, but it's still written in a way that you can take the information more than one way as far as genetics on some of the colours/patterns. I've also emailed them before for information and gotten no reply---don't put a "contact us" button on your website, then. They do have lots of nice pictures.

Jennifer

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2