Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80505 - 04/23/03 01:21 PM White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question about my peacocks. The female hatched out 2 white peachicks last year and they both turned out to be males. My question is, are all white peachicks males? They're about 8 months old and still have a lot of white on them. The parents are Blue Indias. A little help here? If this is a good subject and I get lots of info then I'm going to make a 4-H Poultry poster about it. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks! laugh

#80506 - 04/24/03 01:50 PM Re: White peachicks
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
No, it was simply luck. No matter if the white was caused by the Pied gene or the White gene, neither are sex linked genes in peafowl.

Here's an excellent website for you to learn about your birds: http://www.birdfarm.bravepages.com/blugenex.html

Have fun. I see a 4-H report in your future. smile

Jennifer

#80507 - 04/24/03 02:36 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for that URL! The gene thing is a little confusing, but pretty easy in the end. :p I need a good topic for my Poultry poster this year, and I'll probably just end up doing it about peafowl genes. I'm doing my cat poster about calico cats and their genes, so I might as well keep the same topics to make it easier on me. Last year I did my Poulty poster about chicken predators and I had the little animals look like they had their mug shots with the height bar and everything! It was so cool! It went to the state fair and got a merit and the judge said it was one of the best he had ever seen!! laugh

#80508 - 04/25/03 03:27 PM Re: White peachicks
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Hey, that's great! That was a nice compliment from a judge. smile

I think you'll do well with peafowl colours. I have been reading up on them recently and in the last 20-30 years there have been quite a few new mutations found. There are all sorts of colours out there now. And I always thought they just came in blue. smile

Good luck with the peas. smile

Jennifer

#80509 - 04/26/03 12:29 PM Re: White peachicks
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Are you sure they are not blackshoulders? Your comment "they still have a lot of white on them" does not sound like they are really whites. White chicks are white all over without any other color anywhere on them.

The vast majority of "white peachicks from blue parents" turn out to be blackshoulders- their chicks hatch cream/white color and gradually acquire more color as they grow up. Blackshoulder hens are usually mostly white with small amounts of black/grey spotting, streaking or speckling over them. Males progressively get darker until fully mature at three years of age.

In case they really are not blackshoulders, do the parents have any white feathers on them? Particularly on the primaries or under their chins. Birds carrying white or pied typically have a few white feathers.

Neither white or blackshoulder are sex linked genes so they can be either gender equally.

#80510 - 05/03/03 03:19 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I didn't think anyone else was going to say anything about white peachicks! Heh heh.. anyway, what's weird is that the parents don't have any white feathers on them! I mean, not that I know of. I thought they were pretty much pure bred Blue Indias! I thought Black Shoulder was like, a pure bred breed. Black shoulders come from whites and blues? confused lol I guess I'll have to study more of the geneology. The "chicks" (who aren't really chicks anymore..) mainly just have white flight feathers and I THINK there are some white feathers on their head here and there. I can't really remember and I don't want to go outside and check because it's so cold! :p All I know is that when the chicks were born they were yellow with cream looking wings and as they got a little older, they started looking like Blue Indias. I think they're cute because they still have white flight feathers! But a guy I know told me that they'll just grow out of them. frown

#80511 - 05/04/03 01:52 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

in experinece- white crossed with blue indias= a basically blue bird with a few white primaries.

#80512 - 05/04/03 05:09 PM Re: White peachicks
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Here's a good basic page with explanations and pictures of peafowl varieties:

Featherside peafowl page

Your (original) description of the peachicks match blackshouldereds- there's a picture of a blackshouldered peachick on their blackshoulder page. Your description of the peachicks as they look now are confusing though.. from that they sound like they are either "dark pied" or split for white-that just means a normal looking bird that carries a mutant gene hidden/mostly hidden.. as in case of split whites, those usually have a few white wing feathers. However split whites look the same as "dark pieds" which are birds with the pied gene, but are not splashed with white all over (think pinto horse if that helps or check out pieds on that page) because they are not also split for white. In other words, dark pieds don't have white gene in them, the splashy pieds are pied that do have the white gene in them.

I know that was probably confusing but was necessary due to both birds looking identical- the only way you can tell if they are the one or other is by easiest by breeding them to a white. If half of the chicks turn out white, the bird in question was a "split white". If splashy pied birds happen, then the bird in question was a dark pied.

Now the blackshouldereds.. the blackshoulder gene is a single gene mutation of its own(is not a breed, has nothing to do by association to any other genes.. the blackshoulder mutation simply appeared amongst a flock of blues) and is completely recessive- you cannot tell which bird are carrying blackshoulder by just looking at them because this gene does not show up at all, not even a hint. Recessive genes show up only if the offspring has gotten the recessive copy from both parents. Also, because of its recessive nature, blackshoulders bred to blackshoulders only produce blackshoulders- which might explain the confusion about it having to be 'pure'- a blackshoulder pair never produce blue offspring, but blue pairs most certainly can and do produce blackshoulders.

Blue x blackshoulder (assuming the blue parent was not carrying blackshoulder, and it does not matter which parent is which) produce 100% blue chicks .. they would be carrying or split for blackshoulder though, as they got one blackshoulder gene from it's blackshoulder parent. Now, if you bred those chicks to a blackshoulder, they will produce both blue and blackshoulder chicks.

#80513 - 05/05/03 12:21 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

confused This is a confusing topic! lol I think I'll just title my poster "The Case of the White Peachicks". Then kinda go from there.. I took a couple pictures so you can see what they look like. They're freaky looking birds, but kind of nifty! They look like a mix of blue, black shoulder, and white! :p

#80514 - 05/05/03 01:45 PM Re: White peachicks
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Yeah the chicks are male blackshoulders, no question about it. The hen(I assume is their mother?) is a blue, allright.

The boys will lose ALL the white they currently have and look just like an blue male by three years of age-except their 'shoulders' will be entirely black (instead of the normal brown with black barring.. the page linked above has excellent pictures comparing the wings of blue and blackshoulder males)

This breeding has shown that your hen is a blue split for blackshoulder. You'll be seeing more blackshoulder chicks (of both sexes) from your pair. I suspect your male is a blackshoulder, as the odds of two chicks from blue split for blackshoulder parents turning out blackshoulder is pretty low(25%), it is much higher(50%) if the male happened to be a blackshoulder. If he isn't blackshoulder(which certainly is possible), then it has been 'proven' by this breeding that he is split for blackshoulder just like your hen is.

#80515 - 05/06/03 02:53 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heh heh well.. our flock is a bit confusing. 2 of the hens are our original girls. We got one male from our neighbor (who found the bird peeking in their windows everday) and we got the other male along with his 2 sisters from another person. We have 3 different families all in one cage, so therefore their genes could be anything! I have no idea what their parents were (I'm imagining it was blue), but anyway. The male we got from the neighbor without a doubt was the father of the chicks because he's higher in the pecking order than the other male. The mother was one of our original birds, BUT at least 2 of the other girls laid their eggs in the same nest! So there were about 20 eggs piled in this huge nest and the original girl (in the picture) hatched them out. I think.. 6 or 7 HATCHED, but the 2 in the pictures hatched a few days before the others and she abandoned the nest leaving the other chicks (some never really made it out of the shell) to die. frown The other moms didn't bother helping the rest of the chicks, and the 2 white ones were the only ones that survived. Out of the ones that died, I'm pretty sure there were 1 or 2 more white chicks and the rest were brown.

Thanks for all the help! I'll start printing off all this info so I can organize it for my poster! I think it's neat how we have a "new breed" of pewfowl among the rest of our flock and when people ask why they're different, I can tell them! laugh

#80516 - 05/07/03 02:09 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

look at te sholders of your top rooster- if black- he is a black shoulder.
the geneis totally recessive so if black he is pure for it
if you ever get blacksholder females in the cross- they will feather out similar but more white.
as adult they look like a dirty snowball

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2