Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#80515 - 05/06/03 02:53 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heh heh well.. our flock is a bit confusing. 2 of the hens are our original girls. We got one male from our neighbor (who found the bird peeking in their windows everday) and we got the other male along with his 2 sisters from another person. We have 3 different families all in one cage, so therefore their genes could be anything! I have no idea what their parents were (I'm imagining it was blue), but anyway. The male we got from the neighbor without a doubt was the father of the chicks because he's higher in the pecking order than the other male. The mother was one of our original birds, BUT at least 2 of the other girls laid their eggs in the same nest! So there were about 20 eggs piled in this huge nest and the original girl (in the picture) hatched them out. I think.. 6 or 7 HATCHED, but the 2 in the pictures hatched a few days before the others and she abandoned the nest leaving the other chicks (some never really made it out of the shell) to die. frown The other moms didn't bother helping the rest of the chicks, and the 2 white ones were the only ones that survived. Out of the ones that died, I'm pretty sure there were 1 or 2 more white chicks and the rest were brown.

Thanks for all the help! I'll start printing off all this info so I can organize it for my poster! I think it's neat how we have a "new breed" of pewfowl among the rest of our flock and when people ask why they're different, I can tell them! laugh

#80516 - 05/07/03 02:09 PM Re: White peachicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

look at te sholders of your top rooster- if black- he is a black shoulder.
the geneis totally recessive so if black he is pure for it
if you ever get blacksholder females in the cross- they will feather out similar but more white.
as adult they look like a dirty snowball

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2