Topic Options
#80532 - 02/01/06 07:16 AM 6 mo. old guineas....
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
I have recently purchased a pair of 6 month old guinea hens and am currently keeping them in a cage outside of my chicken coop. At night, I put them into a smaller cage so they can be locked up safely in the coop. So far, so good, although they really seem to want OUT! Anyway, I was wondering how long I should keep them in their cage before letting them wander around? I would hate to lose them, but 6 weeks seems like an awfully long time (I did some reading on other posts). Any advice on this matter would be wonderful! Thanks, Monica

#80533 - 02/01/06 02:57 PM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
6 weeks is about right, if not longer. For six months they have been raised elsewhere, so now they need learn this is their new home. I'd try maybe to find some used fencing, maybe dog kennel panels (chain link) and rig up something a bit more roomy for them, so you can keep them in longer without feeling guilty. It's hard I know, but then if they took off the first time you let them out, you'd feel even worse. I kept my KEETS locked up til they were at least 4-months old before I let them free range, and this is their only home since they were two days old. The older ones I brought with me when I moved here, and kept them caged almost a year before I let them out. Now, the majority of them are waiting back in their pens when it's dinnertime, the rest come when I call.
Hang in there smile

#80534 - 02/01/06 06:07 PM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Oh boy. Okay, well, if thats what I have to do, then I will do it. Are they very good flyers?? I put fencing around the entire coop area so that it was like Fort Knox at night.....Its about 4 foot high....I know its a long shot, but if they would just stay in the penned area, they would be really happy and the coop is right there. Thanks! M

#80535 - 02/01/06 06:28 PM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Sorry..4 feet isn't high enough. They fly!! I've seen mine a good twenty feet up in a tree. If you can put some netting over, or if the fencing is sturdy enough, to cover the entire pen with chicken wire, then that's what should be done. I think with the winter months, mine, at least, seem to stick around. Course they love getting the leftovers from the horses too! They like hay. Come spring they will wander. Before I moved, I sometimes saw mine almost a block away. They are very busy birds. Always looks like they are on a mission. I suppose they believe they are, only wish I knew what it was! Are you also prepared for the noise they make? Two will sound like half a dozen! eek

#80536 - 02/02/06 08:29 AM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Yes, I have heard that they are a very noisy bird! I am hoping it won't be TOO out of control, but I think I can handle it. My neighbors don't hear the roosters crowing at all hours, so I think it will be fine. Thanks for all of your help...I am sure I will be posting again in the future! Monica

#80537 - 02/02/06 08:43 AM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Oh by the way, I noticed that you had a post on the chicken forum about your 'drunken chicken' ? I had the same exact problem with one of my roosters about a year ago. You should be able to find it if you do a search under what I think was the same title! Anyway, good luck, he survived just fine and it would come and go. Someone suggested that it could be too much scratch grain--that it sits in the crop and actually ferments to make them 'drunk' but my hens never showed signs, so I don't know! Anyway, its amusing reading at the very least! M

#80538 - 02/02/06 08:45 AM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

I think I entitled it Drunken Rooster. M

#80539 - 02/03/06 09:14 AM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Hi Shoofly,
My hen hasn't recovered, although some days she seems to do better than others. I've given her extra oyster shell which seem to have helped a bit. I will check out your previous post..thanks

#80540 - 02/03/06 12:09 PM Re: 6 mo. old guineas....
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
My guineas live in the chicken coop with the chickens and ducks. I raise them from keets until big enough to survive the cats. Then in the evening when everyone is in for the night I put them in the coop. In the morning I turn them out. I have only lost two that I believe "ran away from home" and I had to turn them out a little early due to needing my "nursery" for new babies. I think having other birds around encourages them to stick around. They always go back in at night on their own too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2