Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80584 - 08/11/03 03:06 PM Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I am having to sell my Broad Bronze Breasted turkey pair frown . I am hoping to get another pair of turkeys next year but am wondering what kind to get. I want them to not eat near as much as the commercial types, be good broody moms, easy to care for, and hardy. Any ideas??? I have thought about Narragansett. Or maybe a Lilac, also they have to be a pretty turkey, i also like slate blue turkeys. Thanks

Whitefoot

#80585 - 08/11/03 05:04 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would personally go with Royal Palms. They're small. I believe that the hens make good mothers. And they're the most beautiful turkey out there IMO

#80586 - 08/13/03 05:51 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Me and my mom are in love with the royal palms. Have you ever raised them before??? If you have what is their tempermant like??? Are they flighty or friendly?? Are they good watch dogs over chickens?? My tom that i have right now is my watch dog over all my little critters in the hen coop laugh wink .

Whitefoot

#80587 - 08/13/03 06:37 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 2 royal palm toms(I was hoping for a hen and a tom). I absolutely love them. They're really funny though. My little Mille Fleur hen will chase them if the get to close. I have found that they're a little skiddish, but not guineafowl skiddish. They seem to be very calm when I hold them though. As for being watchdogs, I don't really know about that. They're in a run, so there isn't many predators to have them watch. Though they do greet me with whistling and strutting when I come by. I have read that they can fend for themselves if they're let to free range.

#80588 - 08/14/03 10:01 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
RPs are "supposed" to be somewhat flightier than other varieties of turkeys, but I think that's mainly because since they are smaller they find it easier to get around (and fly) than the others. If you like their looks I wouldn't be put off by any comments about their personalities.

Most turkeys are attractive to look at, so you have a large choice to choose from. My least favourite is white, but the turkey I have with the most personality is my Midget White hen. Go figure. smile

Jennifer

#80589 - 08/22/03 02:01 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, i think i am either going to get royal palms or Self blue.

Whitefoot

#80590 - 08/24/03 08:00 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

I assume that when you say Self blue, you mean slate. In which case, if you wanted to breed them, you'd have to get black spanish too to keep them dark...

Palms aren't all that flighty. I think that it just depends on the bird and the handler. Runners are suppose to be racy. Mine aren't really. Palms are supposed to be flighty. Mine aren't really. I think that it's just because I work with them as opposed to only seeing them when I feed and water them.

#80591 - 08/25/03 11:26 AM Re: Rare Turkeys
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Monarch, I hear that a lot about self-blue going too pale, and I don't get it. Doesn't that have to mean that you are selecting constantly for lighter colour in order for that to happen? If you have a self-blue and mate to a self-blue and don't select for colour from that point on, how do you lose expression for blue? There are variations in self-blue. My double slate turkeys (on a black base) do have differences in colour and some are quite pale, but others are a very "blue" colour. I can see if you always mated the lightest ones you could get lighter and lighter birds, but if you don't do that???

Jennifer

#80592 - 08/25/03 01:34 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Monarchzman i do mean a slate turkey. I am not going to breed them if that is the breed that i do get just have a pair for fun.

Whitefoot

#80593 - 08/25/03 01:55 PM Re: Rare Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not raise Slates, but this is what I understand from a friend.

I'll bet that when the Slate was created, they used a light(probably white) and a dark(probably black) bird. I'll also bet that white is the more dominant color, so when you breed a slate to a slate, that color seems to come more and more evident.

This is all speculation though. I breed blue cochins and find that that happens too if one constantly breeds blue to blue. I know that turkey genetics don't work like chicken genetics. This is all that I've heard from my friend who breeds slates.

#80594 - 08/27/03 11:50 AM Re: Rare Turkeys
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Hmm. Chicken genetics and turkey genetics have some similarities and differences. Chickens have a dominant white, but turkeys only have recessive white. And white doesn't really have anything to do with it anyway since slate is just diluted black. One slate gene on a black turkey gives you Blue Slate, two gives you the self blue. You knew that. smile

Oh, well. Maybe I'll get an explanation some other time. smile I just don't see how you can lose something when there's no selection for or against it.

Thanks for the reply, Monarch.

Jennifer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2