Topic Options
#80610 - 05/23/06 02:13 PM calcium for turkey chicks??
Currie Creek Ranch Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
We just recived our day old turkey chicks last Friday - they are in with broiler chicks and seem to be doing well, although are not growing as much as I thought they would in a week - their wings are growing, but they seem about the same size. Anyway, I have read that calcium is very important to them? Is this true? Can I put calcium powder on the food when the broiler chicks are eating it too? They get free choice turkey starter right now and access to clean water with a vitamin/mineral supplement in it. The turkeys will be seperated from the broilers at 3-4 weeks.

Thanks!

#80611 - 06/02/06 08:59 AM Re: calcium for turkey chicks??
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

A fello Islander!

broilers grow so fast, your turkeys will look like they are standing still but rest assured, they are probably growing fine

If you are using a proper turkey starter, then don't worry about the calcium. I just use a non medicated 26% gamebird starter with good results. When they get older, giving them free access to oyster shells will take care of any calcium needs they have.

For a grower, I've had excellent results with Top Shelf's 19% non medicated broiler grower pellet.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#80612 - 06/02/06 10:25 AM Re: calcium for turkey chicks??
Currie Creek Ranch Offline
Bantam

Hey BC Breeder! Thanks so much for the reply - I've met two islanders on here!

I checked out my poultry book last night and looked at the grwoth rate chart and they are doing just fine. 2 weeks old now and it looks like now they will really start to grow - supposed to reach almost 3 lbs by week 4!

Anyway, they seem helathy and happy - havent lost one yet and I was very concerned about the temp in the brooder, but they did have 100+ broiler chicks keeping them warm! Next week we will seperate them from the broiler chicks and hopefully they will continue to do well.

Thanks again!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2