Topic Options
#80619 - 02/06/05 10:27 AM Roost hood for turkeys
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
HI I was thinking I don't want to keep my turkeys in my chickens houses. So I could keep them in my barn. It isn't insulated but draft free could I build and sorte of a insulated roost hood for them to be shut up in at night so there toes would not frezze.

#80620 - 02/07/05 08:06 AM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
As the original roost hood guy, I'll be very interested to know if this works. The hood will have to be large enough for the larger birds to fly up underneath. For chickens, having a 'ladder' rung or two up to the roost level helps a lot, and I think this would be especially true for the larger turkeys.
What kind of roost board works best for turkeys?
Could some turkey experts out there help chickenman with some general advice on how turkeys like to roost? He is in New Brunswick, so he has a climate similar to coastal Maine. Any general turkey advice for that part of North America?

#80621 - 02/11/05 04:12 PM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, Can't speak for your part of the country, tho I suppose you have snow. We don't, but have very high wind and it does get to -5degC with heavy frosts.
My turkeys love to roost on top of their wire pens. Some of them on the edge which is only wire thick. It does take a bit to balance but they seem to manage ok. One hen roosts on top of one of the fence posts. The others roost on the metal bars that run between the posts of each cage. There are only a couple with the sense to go inside the shed and roost in the rafters, which are only a short distance from the tin roof which must also be very cold.

#80622 - 02/11/05 04:53 PM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I had turks which roosed on very narrow poles but found they really prefer a 4 inc roost. They will roost outside in sub zero weather and sleet storms and freezing rain and all they have to do is walk into the barn, they dont. My friends roost on a telephone wire out in all weather, mine cant fly that high as I feed mine, he doesnt so his can fly more easily as they are light.
I used to worry about their fleshy heads and necks suffering frost bite, but nope.

#80623 - 02/14/05 05:56 AM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to add further.
Went out last night to lock up the flock and found four poults all doing a balancing act on top of the wire fence. The wind was fairly blowing and they were tettering back and forth.
We had a thunder storm later on so don't know how they fared, but they were all here this morning.

#80624 - 02/20/05 08:33 AM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Chickenman, what's the plan? This is very interesting.

#80625 - 02/20/05 01:33 PM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
Hi I am sorry my turkey plans got dumped for now the only guy who had the tukeys I wanted sold them all so I will have to wait till next fall some time and find some more. But here is what I was thinking. make it three feet wide and three and a half feet tall and five feet long. The front and the bottom would be hinged open in the day time and closed a night. With some ventaltion holes in the top.Also maybe a window.

#80626 - 03/08/05 04:56 AM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Turkeys don't need this kind of care. They are fine roosting in trees in the winter and if they are in a draft free barn instead, they'd absolutely not need anything else. Wild turkeys live in far northern areas of the country and survive very cold temperatures unaided by barns, etc, and they are very, very closely related to domestic standard bred turkeys.

Have you ever picked up and felt a turkey grown in cold weather parts of the country? They are like down filled pillows! And unlike chickens they turn their heads around 180 and put their whole heads into the feathers fluffed up on their backs. Nothing shows. Chickens don't seem to be able to do this, just hunker down, and as a consequence, they can get frostbitten wattles and combs.

Chickens come from closer to the equator, while turkeys originated in the temperate latitudes. Just because we lump them together as "poultry" and have them live in the same conditions, doesn't mean they really are the same as each other. It's certainly not necessary to treat them the same in the cold.

I'd rather my turkeys come inside at night, but once they learn about roosting in trees it's darned difficult to get more than about 1/3 of my current 110 birds inside. They sit on top of tractors, triplex line running to the barn, and in a handful of their favorite trees. Anywhere high where they feel safe.

Jennifer

#80627 - 03/08/05 06:16 AM Re: Roost hood for turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I would agree with Jennifer there.
All feathered creatures 'fluff' their feathers which traps the heat from their bodies and keeps them warm. Doesn't matter where they roost they will keep warm.
Also, perches should be wide not skinny as this keep their toes spread to allow for circulation.
But tell my turks this. They are all perched along the wires of their cages and anywhere that is high. My peacock lives in the top of a mulberry tree and comes down into the chicken run in the morning.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2