Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80630 - 12/16/03 03:41 PM Friendly Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello- I have an 8 mo old giant white tom....he used to be quite skittish about being touched.In fact, he refused to be touched. Recently he's been coming right up to me, standing an inch away. at first I was sorta scared..it seemed aggressive. Today I decided to reach out to try and pet him. He spread his back out and squatted in the same posture my chickens have been using for months when they want to be picked up and petted. I was very surprised to see this behavior in a tom. Maybe he learned it from the girls, or maybe he's just happy to have made it past Thanksgiving! In any case, he just wanted some lovin'....Becky

#80631 - 12/17/03 11:11 AM Re: Friendly Tom
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Wanted lovin' allright.. except it might be a she..

The 'squatting' you see in both chickens and the tom are the female mating posture- that's when the rooster or tom gets on the hen. (assuming you meant squatting as in lying on the ground with wings slightly spread and remaining immobile when touched)

#80632 - 12/18/03 05:30 AM Re: Friendly Tom
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Yup, Kaalnek is right, "he" is a "she". smile

Jennifer

#80633 - 12/19/03 05:03 PM Re: Friendly Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, how right you are about the he/she thing! Just as I was trying to figure out the peculiar eggs I was finding, I read your response to the mating posture my turkey was showing. This turkey was an impromptu acquisition back in June. Our friend who raises turkeys found out we were going to raise chickens...he sent us home from a bluegrass festival with a "tom". Either he grabbed the wrong bird, or he sexed it wrong. In any case, our chicks were brooding elsewhere and the coop wasn't even done yet. Turkey lived in the basement for 2 weeks until the chick/turk tribal merge; he was then dubbed Barry White...now we call her Betty White.....Becky

#80634 - 12/24/03 09:43 AM Re: Friendly Tom
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Cute name! Turkey eggs are supposed to be great for some kind of bakery. Maybe cakes.. not sure..

She can become quite tame, just give her some time and food is a great movitator.

Good luck with your new pets!

#80635 - 01/21/04 06:38 AM Re: Friendly Tom
Tracy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
I have a bunch of turkey eggs (being laid by my new hens)and was wondering if these eggs can be used in some form of cooking? I am sure some of you DO use them for eating correct?

I also have plans to incubate a few too. But it would be nice to be able to use them in some form of cooking.Can only incubate so many. lol

#80636 - 01/21/04 12:33 PM Re: Friendly Tom
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

I can't help out with the bakery use recommendations but yes the eggs are edible. Go ahead and try them any way eggs are used- hard boiled, scrambled etc.. hope somebody will jump in and add to this.

I'm getting turkeys later this spring so I'm all interested in this now.

#80637 - 01/21/04 02:30 PM Re: Friendly Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Mom used turkey eggs in pancake batter and as devilled eggs. I believe, like duck eggs, the yolk is larger and that gives a lighter, fluffier baked good. Be warned about using in white batters, though. I gave my Mom-in-law some of my chicken eggs for her Italian white cookies and they came out yellow eek :rolleyes: because of the darker yolk. The cookies still tasted good. laugh Check with Cloverfarm under Processing poultry. She has posted some wonderful recipes and may have more info. Good luck - Cedewynne

#80638 - 01/21/04 08:08 PM Re: Friendly Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all,
My husband has been eating the turkey eggs and says they taste like chicken eggs except they are just HUGE. I've had many friends ask why you can't buy turkey eggs at market. The answer as you probably know is that it's not commercially viable. Chickens lay just about every day, and turkeys lay only about 50 eggs per year. Betty laid one on Mon and Wed of this week after what seemed like a long hiatus. I'm keeping track now on the calendar. I suspect it's probably a monthly deal. Anyway, it's certainly fun, if non profitable to have eggs you can't find anywhere else!

#80639 - 01/21/04 08:12 PM Re: Friendly Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to have what was supposed to be a "Tom" but "he" ended up laying eggs too. I liked them better than chicken eggs any way you cooked them! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2