Topic Options
#80694 - 02/15/07 05:12 AM 1st Time With Turkeys
13Blackbirds Offline
Bantam

Loc: Georgia
We've just been "gifted" a trio of turkeys. Any words of wisdom? Can we feed them chicken feed? What works for nesting boxes? Any MUST know thoughts?
Help.
Thanks.

#80695 - 02/16/07 07:43 AM Re: 1st Time With Turkeys
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
I was hoping someone would answer your questions as I too am new to turkeys. I especially want to know about the type of nests required and feeding of the young. Thanks.

#80696 - 02/16/07 03:40 PM Re: 1st Time With Turkeys
Grader Man Offline
Chicken

Loc: North Carolina
:p :p Hi,don"t know if I can help to much. L started with a few turkeys last summer.Threw trial and error I do know young poults have to be kept a little warmer than do baby chicks. Also baby turkeys are a little on the dumb side'It helps a lot to have a few chicks to raise with them to show them the water and feed.I fed mine on regular starter and grower and they seemed to do fine.L hope mine will soon start to lay.I dont know what age they start. I built three laying boxes 18"off the ground'each nest is 16"x16" hope this is large enough.Hope this helps'let you know how the nest works out.Mine are Bronse the toms have started strutting there stuff-had to seperate them last week. Each one thought he shoud have all the hens. What kinds do yall have.

#80697 - 02/16/07 04:15 PM Re: 1st Time With Turkeys
13Blackbirds Offline
Bantam

Loc: Georgia
Thanks for the thoughts. We have one Bourbon Red and a pair of Royal Palm. No eggs yet, these are 6 months old. Updates to come!

#80698 - 02/16/07 05:55 PM Re: 1st Time With Turkeys
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
We have Wild Turkeys (two hens and one tom). They are 9 months old so hope they don't start laying too soon as it is still very cold here. We raised them as chicks with pheasant chicks and it worked well. They love to be out in the snow and would like to roost outside if I let them. I find them very interesting to watch as they are so curious about everything.

#80699 - 03/02/07 05:00 AM Re: 1st Time With Turkeys
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
Some sort of covered and private nesting box in a quiet corner. I have a couple big plastic barrels with the end cut out that work nice. Piece of plywood just tipped across the wall to make a simple teepe. If you pens have room some brush piled in a quiet covered corner to make them feel like they are getting back to nature.
They aren't far removed from their wild kin and like the privacy when they are nesting. Broody turkey hens will often attempt to hide their nests out in the woods or quiet part of the yard. I'm loaded with predators so if I don't track them down the girl becomes lunch. They can be tricky to follow too.

Turkeys require a higher protein feed than chickens. They make turkey feed or game bird feed.

#80700 - 03/04/07 03:33 PM Re: 1st Time With Turkeys
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
I fed my bourbon red turkeys turkey grower till age 8 weeks i believe then i had them on turkey grower until i think 16 or so weeks(i dont rememebr exactly, the tags on the bags say though). Then to finisher till about december when i put them on layena. They are 9 months old now and i just started getting eggs.They were a little stupid as babies....but they became alot more ditsy as they got older. Much more outgoing then chickens. And much more alert when it comes to sky predators. Turkeys were a joy to raise but they wander alot (maybe it is jus mine), they tend to be a little noisy at times. But they love to follow me around and my girls love to snuggle. They will destroy plants... and chase dogs....and chickens and squirrels. But i love them smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2