Topic Options
#80748 - 03/05/05 09:45 PM Do turkeys get Marek's disease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stupid question---

I have a Bourbon Red turkey tom was attacked by another tom about six weeks ago. I didn't think he would make it but he did. Even though he survived, he has been withdrawn which I attribute to the trauma of being beaten up so bad. But he doesn't like to stand on one leg and has been sitting around ALOT. A couple of weeks ago, he felt good enough to leave the shed on his own and venture outside. Rather then leave him in the open to be susceptible to another pecking order fight (I have since gotten rid of the tom that inflicted the damage on him earlier but have two other toms roaming around) I put him in my back yard. Well, last week the temps dipped to the 20's and it rained and he got wet. I tried to move him but got the tar beat out of my face and nose with his wings. When I finally got him in the house (he has been living in the tub in the guest bathroom), he sits on both legs with his weight on his hocks, although if I startle him, he jumps up on both feet. So I am perplexed. He seems healthy otherwise, although does not eat and drink as well as I would like.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do for the poor boy? By the way, I named him Red Butler after Rhett in "Gone With The Wind".

Thanks in advance for any help,
Marlene

#80749 - 03/06/05 01:39 PM Re: Do turkeys get Marek's disease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marlene,

Turkeys do not get Marek's disease.

Hopefully, one of our "turkey members" will respond.

#80750 - 03/06/05 08:18 PM Re: Do turkeys get Marek's disease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whew! That is a relief. Now if I can just figure out how to make him better from whatever is ailing him.

Marlene

#80751 - 03/07/05 06:05 AM Re: Do turkeys get Marek's disease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hopefully, you've been able to get him out of the tub! Wherever he is, make sure he has good traction.
Slipping and sliding around will only make his injury worse. If he has no other symptoms and is eating and drinking normally, ( until one of our turkey experts post) I would treat this as a leg injury. Keep him isolated in a small area with food and water close by so he doesn't have to walk to get them. Make sure he is not startled. Hopefully, time will heal this injury.

#80752 - 03/07/05 11:21 PM Re: Do turkeys get Marek's disease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have towels underneath him, not just for traction but easy clean up of the poop. He has food and water with probiotics and vitamins. I am considering adding Auromycin to the water because I just wonder if it is some kind of infection. It had started with just one leg where he did not want to put weight on it. Now he rests on both hocks with his feet hanging a little off the ground. There is no swelling or pain that I can see or feel, although the legs feel hot and look like, although it could just be me and this is just the color of his legs, look a little red. The heat could be explained because he rests on them almost exclusively. He has not been really wanting to eat or drink, so I may have to start syringe feeding him.

I am stymied right now,
Marlene

#80753 - 03/08/05 06:23 AM Re: Do turkeys get Marek's disease?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not an expert, but I have had the same problem with my Toms. I sometimes think they are just 'sulking' 'cos they lost!!
They usually come good in the end, tho I have had a couple that have gone into decline and died.
When they really get stuck into it one will get their head down the other ones throat. Maybe this causes some damage and they don't eat because of it. Most of the time the snood just gets ripped to pieces or badly bruised, which causes some problems as well.
Thought I was bad having my chicks in the bathroom, but seems I am not alone.
cheers Jan

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2