Topic Options
#80824 - 04/29/09 12:28 PM moving poults out of brooder
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
my 9 wild turkey poults (eastern strain) are 3 wks old, with feathers, and i'm looking to move them from their brooder to a fenced in (including overhead) space adjoining the "pasture" wherein live our geese, their babies, and our chickens and their babies. we're in northern california, where our weather is, right now, variable--last week was over 100, this week it felt like snow. i have a plastic dog kennel, large, for their protection--hopefully i'll persuade them to use it. at present the heat is off in the brooder, so they've survived 40+ degree nights already.

my first question: when can i safely move them to their new space?

my second question: when can i safely integrate them into the larger pasture (c. .5 acres) with adult geese and goslings that are about a week younger than the turkeys plus an assortment of banties?

and, should i start changing the turkey feed now to what the geese (and chickens) eat?

thanks for anything you c'n tell me. smile

#80825 - 04/30/09 06:11 PM Re: moving poults out of brooder
Sdearmo Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
I think I'd wait a couple more weeks to move them. Before moving them, make sure they cannot escape through any fence holes. When you do move them, put some straw or other bedding in the kennel for some ad'l insulation. Once you've adjusted them to their new space, you can slowly convert their feed to what the geese & chickens eat. Then, once they are adjusted to the new space and new feed, you'll want to monitor everyone to see when it seems right to integrate them. And watch them all when you do integrate them --I'm thinking the geese might pick on the turkeys. Probably try to put them together for short periods of time first, if you can. Hope that helps a little.

Suzi
www.lifeonanacreage.com

#80826 - 05/19/09 04:56 PM Re: moving poults out of brooder
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
thanks for your advice, suzi. i've had the poults outside in their pen--sharing w/ 4 very placid muscovy females--for over a week now. yes, all holes seem to be effectively plugged. all's well w/ this batch. no losses. and the poults are doing fine w/ the organic generic starter/grower diet that all the other birds are eating. my advice-giver at our local feed store insists that it's good enough for all our birds, including our guineas. i think it's c. 25% protein. what's your opinion of that? thanks. luisa

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2