Topic Options
#80857 - 05/28/03 11:06 AM turkey artificial insemination procedure ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any hints on AI procedure and/or success with turkeys? My royal palm toms would be more than happy to oblige, but my only hen developed some leg problems after a long sit so I don't want to take a chance that the toms would hurt her. She is ready to lay again and I would like to try for some fertile eggs. I've read about what I need to do, but firsthand hints are always helpful!
Thanks, Melissa

#80858 - 05/28/03 04:50 PM Re: turkey artificial insemination procedure ??
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
I've only read about it, too, so I'm no help to you.

Are you sure the hen can't be bred by one of the toms without being hurt? It only takes one breeding per clutch--turkey hens have remarkable fertility--and she'd be set to go for another month. It's not like she has to be bred every week like a chicken.

Jennifer

#80859 - 05/29/03 10:54 AM Re: turkey artificial insemination procedure ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jennifer, I've seen the toms in action and they virtually make pancakes out of the poor hens to take care of business.
Since she can't get up without a lot of flapping (only one leg works minimally), she is trapped if the tom gets on her back and she doesn't want him there.
Before I do anything I am going to wait a bit longer to make sure she really is ready to lay again. The hens usually throw themselves at my feet when they're ready and a few days later they lay eggs.
She was such a good mom, I just hate to see her lay again and it be for eating eggs only (although those are delicious).
I'm going to keep up the epsom salt hot pack treatments and maybe her legs will get better, too. That would solve the problem!
Thanks, Melissa

#80860 - 05/29/03 08:50 PM Re: turkey artificial insemination procedure ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try this link from Merck, great company by the way...

web page

Here it is again if it doesnt go thru...

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205700.htm

#80861 - 05/30/03 07:40 AM Re: turkey artificial insemination procedure ??
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
>>>>>>She was such a good mom, I just hate to see her lay again and it be for eating eggs only (although those are delicious).

Thanks for the added information. I'm glad to hear that she has a history of natural fertilization and AI is just a means of extending her reproductive lifecycle. I wish I could help, but this is an area that I'm as dumb as they come.

As for my intended soap box rant (which doesn't apply to this case) I've questioned the appropriateness of hobby breeders using AI in their breeding programs. Most hobby breeders want to improve their breeds, and developing breeds dependant on AI could only degrade a breed's overall fitness. Commercial breeders are more interested in maximizing profits than doing what's best for the breed, therefore they don't have a problem with AI. But I don't feel it should be considered a legitamate tool for the conscientious breeder.

And as is typical in the magical world of biology, Melissa has demonstrated an exception to the rule, haha. Hope you find your answers and can salvage the breeding season Melissa.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#80862 - 05/30/03 10:05 PM Re: turkey artificial insemination procedure ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

see if your hen will 'sit down' for you. if so she is in laying condition.
press on her back and she should be ready. you may have to press a hand on both sides o f her butt to get her to push the vent out. then stickin the eyedropper - it must go to the left for an inthe oviduct drop.
or you can put half where the oviduct should be and half kinda "around' in the vent, the around part is best done on the entry- it will get done automatically
the only problem i see is steadyiing and supporting the hen-on the ground shoud do it. she obviously feels alright to be laying eggs.
i would not worry about ai or any implications- since you probalbly have less than a hundreed and 50 turkeys so therefore the genetic contribution of all reasonably 'fit' individuals is important to keep the line going.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2