Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#80894 - 05/21/03 07:49 PM Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a pair of Royal Palms that are about a month old. They are fully feathered out. They're mostly white, one has a bit more black than the other.

The whiter one is a lot more flighty and aggressive. For instance, when I handle them, it'll hiss and peck. The other will hiss a little bit, but it will calm down.

Would the whiter one be a tom because it's more aggressive? And thoughts? I have never raised Royal Palms before, so I don't know what to look for

#80895 - 05/22/03 11:05 AM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Ask Jimmy Privett (Privett Hatchery, Portales, NM) he has the largest Royal Palm flock in the US.

#80896 - 06/11/03 11:08 AM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Monarch... did you ever get an answer to your question??? I am wondering the same thing with our 4 royal palm poults. I guess we can always wait until they grow up more, but I'd really like to know right now their sex!

#80897 - 06/11/03 12:42 PM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still haven't figured out their sex yet. They're finally starting to grow in their adult feathers. Unfortunately, they're both looking the same, so I'm guessing that I have two males or two females.. I was really hoping for a pair.

But maybe I'll still have a pair. They're still rather young.

#80898 - 06/12/03 11:25 AM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm pretty sure we have at least 1 male since I've seen it doing a mating display with on of the other royal palms.... pretty cute, he gets his chin tucked, neck arched, tail fanned and wings displayed and dragging on the ground. But when he gets back to normal, I can't tell by looking at him any difference.

#80899 - 06/12/03 12:01 PM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose that give me a little hope. My birds are still rather young. They're just starting to go bald.

#80900 - 06/13/03 08:58 AM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ours are only about 1 month old and still have down on their heads.... here's a picture from last weekend: picture of 2 royal palms and 1 bourbon red poults I've seen multiple displays at this age, but they are also in a large pen outdoors now. I did not see them ever do this in the brooder. I've never seen the one in the picture with the most black on the wings display, I wonder if it's a female?

#80901 - 06/13/03 09:17 AM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well then, maybe I have two hens.. Granted I don't watch these guys all that much and when I do, they start to freak out...

I guess there still is the possiblility.

Just out of curiousity, is the tall one in that picture the bourbon red? I didn't realize that they had white feathering as poults..

#80902 - 06/26/03 10:29 AM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, the one in the middle is a bourbon red. He's had white tips on his feathers since he was a tiny chick.

I'm starting to notice black strips on the tail feathers of 1 or 2 of our royal palm poults....1 has beautiful black bars on the feathers down it's back.... I'm thinking that must be a tom?

How are yours looking now?

#80903 - 06/27/03 02:20 PM Re: Sexing Royal Palms
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine both are still looking the same. They both have the stripe in the tail and have their back feathers coming in. I think that they both may be hens because their snoods aren't all that long, and they're almost 3 months old

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2