Topic Options
#80940 - 09/01/04 08:08 PM Narragansetts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am getting some Narragansett Turkey eggs tomarrow. Is there any thing I need to know about the breed? What is your opinion on this breed (what you like / dont like, eggs, meat, broodness, mothering, exc....).
Thank You,
Andrew

#80941 - 09/07/04 06:25 AM Re: Narragansetts
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Domestic turkeys are pretty much the same when it comes to most of the things you mentioned. Where the big difference is between them is in the strain they are from, and the biggest noticeable difference will be in the meat on the bird. It's quite easy to influence the amount of meat on a bird through selection, so if you get a bird from a strain that selection has been strong for meat, you'll notice it in comparison to other birds when you pick them up. The best example would be Kardosh Bronze. They have been selected for years to maintain a good meat bird and they show it. Beautiful meat birds.

Remember that Narragansett in turkeys is the result of one sex linked colour gene, so it's quite easy to make them from a bronze. You can also make them from Royal Palms and Bronzes (RP tom on Bronze hen).

They are a little different than the average Bronze bird to look at. Personally it's not my colour but the gene itself does interesting things in combination with others.

Jennifer

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2