Topic Options
#80946 - 07/04/03 09:02 AM Sexual Behavior
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I purchased turkey poults about a month and a half ago. Today I observed the little tom doing the mating dance (dragging wings and fan tail) and then trying to step on the backs of the females. Is that normal? I have kept chickens before this and have never observes sexual behavior so early in the development.

#80947 - 07/04/03 02:09 PM Re: Sexual Behavior
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your jake is just demonstrating his dominance over them.

#80948 - 07/04/03 05:46 PM Re: Sexual Behavior
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
I suspect it is not dominance, or done strictly for dominance reasons. It is common for poults to strut, even really young ones. There's a picture with some strutting poults on Featherside's midget white page.

Strutting and mating behavior is also pretty common in peachicks, I've seen peachicks as young as one week old go through the mating motions, and every year I'll have a few juveniles that enthusastically and frequently mate with each other and it apparently isn't for dominance reasons either. They seem to do it just because it's fun.

I have not seen any young chickens even attempt to engage in mating behavior except for two cockerels, one liked to tread his own mother and another loved to tread a plastic ball that had a slow leak- he became hugely attached to that ball, well into his adulthood and would get very upset if I tried to take the ball away. Pretty sure he was not trying to show his dominance over it..

#80949 - 07/05/03 03:56 PM Re: Sexual Behavior
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although it does have slight sexual reasoning, it is still a dominance issue. If he doesn't assert his dominance over them they will not let him mate with them. They aren't going to mate with a weak tom, so he has to be dominant. Many dominance issues are settled or confirmed with sexual advances. You see this most clearly in female dominated groups. Dominant female dogs with mount any dog that is below them, male or female. I have a stud coon hound that gets mounted several times a day from several different females, and he has never sired pups due to this dominance issue. These mounts are not to produce offspring, but to assert dominance. Duck hens will mount other hens to show they are dominant, not to produce young.

#80950 - 07/07/03 11:07 AM Re: Sexual Behavior
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our Royal palm poults and 1 bourbon red tom poult have been doing this since we brought them to the outdoor coop. I watched 2 mating but I've not been able to tell their sex yet for sure. Ours strut and display a lot! Ditto our peachicks, but not until they are a couple months old.

The wierdest thing I've seen recently though was a ring neck dove mating with a bob white quail hen! eek

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2