Topic Options
#81061 - 06/18/03 01:44 AM Bourbon Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

A close neighbor of mine is moving to Nevada. She asked me if I would like her bourbon tom. I told her to bring it over and we would see how it did with my bronze tom and his three hens, but told her I didn't think it would work. So, she brought him over. We released him out in the pasture so that there would be room for one of them to run away if something serious happened. He almost immediately started calling. My bronze worked his way over with the hens slowly following. It was the coolest thing. They were both all puffed up dragging their wings, circling and doing the side step charge at each other. When they would get close they would kind of wrap their necks around each other and push back and forth. Then they would break up and start side stepping again. This went on for maybe 5 minutes. Eventually the bourbon put his head under the bronze's breast and sat down. The bronze did a quick little strut and layed down next to him. The hens then joined them. It was unreal. Tonight when I went to check on him, he was under the carport shelter with the other turkeys. So, I have a new turkey.

#81062 - 06/18/03 05:35 AM Re: Bourbon Tom
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
What nice mannered children you have! wink That's pretty good for toms to behave like that this time of year. It's getting to the end of the breeding season here but if I introduced a new tom there would be bloody heads before it was over, and the loser would be hiding for quite awhile. Glad it all worked out and you have the new bird! Now next year you can hatch out some Red Auburns. smile

Jennifer

#81063 - 06/18/03 10:40 AM Re: Bourbon Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, cool! I've seen similar behaviour in our little poults. I've seen these 1 month old poults also practicing their breeding techniques too! Great story, thanks for sharing! cool

#81064 - 06/19/03 10:44 PM Re: Bourbon Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will I have to remove the bronze so the bourbon can breed the hens? Or will they both mate with the hens? I figure I will have to remove him unless the smaller bourbon wins against the larger bronze (not likely).

#81065 - 06/20/03 04:29 AM Re: Bourbon Tom
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
It depends. When a hen is ready for breeding she flops down and waits for a tom to notice her. She may pick out one tom and flop down in front of him but that doesn't stop the other tom from getting over there as fast as he can and see if he can push the other one off. Tom turkeys don't run, they just strut real fast in these situations. smile That's if both toms are about equal in the flock heirarchy. If the BR is really low dog, then he probably won't even attempt to breed. I have a pen of mixed toms and hens and all this year about five of the toms (about half of them) have been the breeders on the five or six hens that are in there with them. Some hens want breeding often, and some only accept a service rarely (they are fertile for a month + from one breeding) so some get bred by multiple toms, and some only by one. If you had hens like one Narragansett I've got they'd be bred to everything in the barn, because she goes down for every tom out there . . . laugh It's also very easy to pen the hens separately and arrange "supervised conjugal visits" which work well here. You just watch the hens and when they flop down when you are around them, go get the correct tom and let them breed, then take him back to his pen afterward. I've had a pen of five hens all bred to five different toms this year. They all lay different looking eggs so are easy to label for the incubator. It can be funny sometimes: you walk in the door with a tom in your arms and the whole pen goes down at once! That's where the "supervised" part comes in. laugh

Jennifer

#81066 - 06/20/03 11:41 AM Re: Bourbon Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok. Sounds easy enough. I'll see what happens next spring.

#81067 - 06/21/03 08:19 AM Re: Bourbon Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does any of you have bronze poults? I am looking to buy some. email me @ clingtron@yahoo.com if you would. I would appreciate it.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2