Topic Options
#81084 - 01/29/05 11:54 AM royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anybody have, or know anybody that has any royal palm turkeys. my daughter wants to get some but all we have seen are pictures. We live in the Harrison area of NW Arkansas. We don't mind driving an hour or two to see them. I like the idea that they are supposed to be smaller, but would like to see what "small" turkeys look like. thank you, Mack

#81085 - 01/31/05 04:46 AM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!
I live by Fort Leonardwood Missouri. There is a Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon Missouri that has them and there is a hatchery in Springfield, MO which is your few hours drive. Someone gave me two, and they are not only gentle but very sweet and pretty. I'm going to get a few more this spring - They are small turkeys - but they are still big birds - My hen is 12-14 pounds, but she eats really well! Twice the size of a chicken roughly. If your ever this way (5 hours) from you - your welcome to stop in and take a gander.

#81086 - 01/31/05 10:40 AM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wasn't sure if hatcheries would let you see their breeding stock, I didn't even know they had stock at the hatchery. I guess I need to call them. If no, then I might have to set up a time to come see yours... thanks!

#81087 - 01/31/05 02:13 PM Re: royal palm
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
check your surrounding counties for any Trade Days/Flea Markets. All the ones here in texas have poultry sellers at them, I've seen many of the royal palms. The ones here, adults run about $30.00 each.

#81088 - 01/31/05 09:32 PM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

i forgot all about that. i've got a neighobor lady that hits the local ones every few weeks. I visited my parents in Paris, TX last month and they had alot of poultry at the flea market there but we were in the car. i'll be in Burleson (close to you) next month, maybe i'll catch one. thanks...

#81089 - 02/01/05 07:19 AM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not real sure at the hatcheries if they just get the chicks or eggs or what, but they may be able to put you in touch with someone who has royale palms closer to you. One of our friends ordered an assortment of turkeys and the palms were too small compared to the others and too pretty to eat. That is how I ended up with them. I noticed the hen, the closer she gets to breeding age or egg laying age the tamer she is becoming. She likes to lay down and get petted. She sounds like she is purring. I got a slate the same way, too pretty and small, same size, but not as pretty.

#81090 - 02/01/05 08:25 AM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is just what we are looking for and nothing gets eaten on our place anyway. my wife and daughter are both vegatarians; even our pigs have names. i just got done building an incubator for my daughter so if anybody has any palm eggs for sale... thanks. (my dtr is "experimenting" with her black frizzle roo and a few black and white silkie hens) kids these days...

#81091 - 02/15/05 11:53 AM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mack,
We raise RP and BR turkeys, they are just starting to lay. Unfortunately, we're near the Virginia/North Carolina border, which is more than a couple of hours drive.

One of our Royal Palm Toms was recently featured on a local station, unfortunatly he came home with his tail feathers all chewed up from trying to strut in a dog cage.

We DON'T SHIP - Drop us a PM if interested, we're already reserving chicks.

Like other hatcheries, we don't allow visitors, nothing personal, just practicing bio-security and wanting to protect our breeding stock..

#81092 - 02/17/05 06:17 PM Re: royal palm
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, but your right, its a little too far to drive. i appreciate the offer. if anyone else is closer or knows someone that is... please post or pm me. thanks

#81093 - 03/14/05 05:57 AM Re: royal palm
Danny Pritchett Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: South Carolina
Hey Runners I live in South Carolina. Could you sell me a dozen of both for me to hatch for a home based experiment? Could I pay you $24.00 for 24 eggs?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2