Topic Options
#81094 - 05/20/07 10:21 PM Any Ideas?
Shadoblix Farm Offline
New Egg

Loc: Canada
Hello All... hoping someone can offer some help regarding a female (believed to be a Narragansett) turkey. The local SPCA here had seized 3 turkeys and asked if I would be willing to adopt them. They all were fine until I found the older of the females, laying in the coops legs stretched straight out behind her toes curled and lethargic. Put into a cage, the local wildlife rehab center took a look at her and took a stool sample to check... nothing... thought maybe she was eggbound... till I found an egg in the cage with her.... few hours later I went to check on her and up she jumped back to normal. One more day in the cage, eating and drinking fine then she rejoined the other 2 turkeys. Few days had passed (though with no more eggs) and then today she has done the same thing... listless, legs out and lethargic looking. Could it be that she is having problems laying her eggs? Is there anything that can be done to help her along? OR does it sound like it could be something else?
Thanks all for any help, answers, suggestions you can offer.

Darren @ Shadoblix Farm

#81095 - 05/24/07 03:37 AM Re: Any Ideas?
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
Add something oily to her feed and make sure she has free choice oyster shell. Sounds like she is having problems passing eggs.

I feed a game bird pellet, oyster shell and black oil sunflower seed to my birds all the time. Plus what they get free range. If the SPCA was using regular chicken feed she may not have had enough nutrition.

#81096 - 05/24/07 08:52 AM Re: Any Ideas?
Shadoblix Farm Offline
New Egg

Loc: Canada
thanks Sue... will give that mix a try... pretty sure the SPCA was feeding them just chicken pellets.
I switched to game bird when they arrived but didn't think of the shell or sunflower seeds.
Darren

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2