Topic Options
#81220 - 03/14/03 10:00 PM Dabbling into Turkeys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

Look at me already thinking of Thanksgiving :rolleyes: umm umm, but this year I am thinking of raising my own Turkey, only one problem we don't know anything about them... eek , that makes things a little hard, we were wondering if you all could share your vast knowledge so when Turkey day comes all will be a big hit cool , Now we were thinking the Giant whites (BB White I think) I heard that Turkeys were dumb as rocks (drown in the rain) do they need to be paired up now I know Im forgetting alot but it's late all replies are deeply appreciated.

#81221 - 03/14/03 10:18 PM Re: Dabbling into Turkeys
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Turkey poults need to teamed with same age (or thereabouts)chicks. The chicks will act as mentors (scarey thought, isn't it :p ) for the turkeys the first few weeks of life, say the first 6 weeks or so. After that, just keep the poults clean and dry and well-fed and they practically raise themselves.

Poults must have a high protein feed such as game-bird starter and should be isolated (as much as possible) from adult chickens, at least during the first few weeks, due to the diseases that can be transmitted from chickens to turkeys. I know that some have no problems: I didn't the first few years I raised turkeys. But...I purchased some adult fowl that were carrying 'Black-head' and I've had it on my place ever since.

Keep the waterers clean (good idea anyway) as the young poults are more susceptible to protozoan and bacterial ailments than chickens seem to be. After they get to about 8 weeks, it seems to be smooth sailing or at least has been for me. Good Luck.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2