Topic Options
#81237 - 03/11/05 08:45 PM Mean Toms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have six turks. Four are BReds and i am not sure what the other two are. They kind of resemble wild turkeys. I think that two of the BReds are hens and everything else is toms. One of the wild looking ones has become very aggresive towards my family so he is sale barn bound. Two of the other toms are also going. Will the remaining tom also become aggressive with us once he becomes the dominant tom? Also if i post pics of the two that i think are hens would some one be able to tell me if i am right or wrong. And if they are when should we expect them to start laying (we live in Missouri). Thanks

#81238 - 03/12/05 06:00 AM Re: Mean Toms
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I have Bourbons too, mine are sweet. I did get one once that was 2mos old and it became aggresive to my roosters and killed one, it was a hen and she went over two fences to to this. It was gone ASAP. She was only about 4mos old when she did that. My tom I got from a lady has just very nice birds and from the day I've brought any of hers home they love to get hugs. (3) The tom I got she wasn't sure yet if it was a tom because it was only a couple of month old, well I would feel everyday on the chest for a nub (the beard coming in) and finally I got my proof. The two hens I notice have a longer narrower build and lighter red, where the male gets that deep red coloring. I have two toms both coming of age and learning to breed now and they don't bother anyone, but I'm out there alot during the day, talking and petting all. Mine (7) are all 9 to 10 mos now and laying and becoming broody, even the bourbon/bronze crosses. But remember this in texas and its alot warmer here, we had no winter this year. yours might take a little longer. Also the neck on the male has more bulges(don't know correct term) and the hens are smaller and don't change color as much as the males do. I have 8 hens with 2 toms free range during day with 80 chickens with no problems, except the turkey hens pulling out chicken eggs to lay theres!

#81239 - 03/12/05 07:30 PM Re: Mean Toms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was actually going to post a question regarding mean toms.....I hatched a wild turkey two years ago, last year he started becoming a little agressive and this year he has become obnoxious. He is the only turkey and was hatched out by a chicken. He gets along with everyone else in the barnyard, except for me. He jumps and flogs me. I have tried holding him and thumping his head (like you do a rooster) but nothing has worked. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this guy to respect my boundaries?? He seems to like my husband but not me and I'm the one who feeds everyone. HELP!

#81240 - 03/13/05 01:01 AM Re: Mean Toms
Anonymous
Unregistered

with regards to the nub (beard or tassle), I have got hens with these. Of what use they are I don't know.
And the 'bulges' on their necks are called wattles. The males are usually a lot bigger than the female.
cheers Jan

#81241 - 03/15/05 07:55 PM Re: Mean Toms
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in central MO and my RP hens from last years hatch started laying about 2 weeks ago.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2