Topic Options
#81270 - 01/20/05 05:51 AM nest boxes/what kind
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
What has been ya'lls best kind of boxes for turkeys. I would love for my bourbons to nest. My shelter is big enough for roosting, but not for nesting. Last year I used an old utility sink and a small wheel barrow. But I have more birds and less room so I removed them. now they are coming of age and starting to breed. What are good containers to use that they cannot tip over but I can remove when needed. I have a couple ideas, I would love to hear more. Will two hens sit in one nest like chickens? thanks

#81271 - 01/22/05 06:20 AM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find that most of my hens just scratch a hollow in the ground and sit there, whether it be under an old tank or in a corner by a tree. They are not too fussy about where they go. some get out into the trees and under bushes, which is a nuisance as I don't find them before the foxes do. Old tyres have been used as well.
Some try to get in with the hens in small boxes, etc., which I use for the chickens.
I have had three hens on the one nest at the same time. You have to take the first lot of chicks out with one hen to start with. Leave the last eggs with the other and hopefully they will hatch too.

#81272 - 01/24/05 04:14 PM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
HI you mite try putting up two pieces of plywood about 2 ft wide and 2ft long in a cornner and put some hay sawdust in the bottom. Also you mite try cutting a hole in the wall and putting the nest boxes out side of the coop. http://www.henhouses.co.uk/brentford.html There are some pic on this page. hope it helps

#81273 - 01/25/05 05:30 AM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

I was thinking about using the 55 gallon drum barrels, I have six hens, do you think 3 barrels would be enough? I'm going to extend the pen out the side and put the barrels thier with a shade cover on top. My shelter is a fiberglass dome, almost impossible to cut holes in. My turkeys are chicken egg stealers, will they bother thier own eggs?

#81274 - 01/25/05 03:41 PM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
You'd be lucky to entice a hen to lay in a general vacinity, not to mention a nest. Turkeys are very protetive of their eggs, so once you found the nest, they most likely will move on.

#81275 - 01/29/05 05:20 PM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Tiffany what do you think of your bourbons. Temperment, do they forage good, How fast do they gain weight.

#81276 - 01/31/05 05:19 AM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

chickenman, I love my bourbons, I found two breeders that had excellent birds with great temperments! My tom loves hugs and follows me flirting all the time, the hens are sweet. One guy I got 8 birds from let his forage over about 100 acers w/brush and coastal pastures. He said he just gives them scratch at night to bring them in the barn to lock up. They were beautiful birds, he must of had about 50 running around. The one tom I got from this lady, prier year got two hens, has well mannared birds. I did get a hen from another person once, a poultry breeder friend of mine, and the bird turned out to be a killer by 4 or 5 mos. old. It went over two fences and killed my pet brahma rooster, which was as big as her. The only problem with the lastest girls is they get jealose if I don't give them enough attention. The tom, because he liked hugs, I could feel him gaining weight, I got him at three mos old, he is probley about 9mos, his weight is about 30lbs maybe more, the last time I picked him up I couldn't belive how solid he was, my hens have filled out well too. I have nothen for them to forage on (thanks to the chickens, they have stripped my place bare to rock and dirt). I have found that finding a person that really loves thier birds end up with the sweetest birds. That one person with the killer just threw them in a pen and never cared about them untill they were sold, he was only in it for a buck. I also got some bronze/bourbon mixes from the man with 50, because they bred and layed out in the woods, and they are just as sweet. I don't eat/like bird meat so I can't help you on table quality, but I can say they are nice plump birds. With 12 turkey they eat like a horse!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps some. smile

#81277 - 01/31/05 02:47 PM Re: nest boxes/what kind
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Thanks very much I am thinking of getting bourbons and naragansetts.thanks again

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2