Topic Options
#81498 - 06/01/04 07:05 AM Pics of Poults on-line
Chickpine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Maine
Hi-

Does anyone know where there are pics of different heritage poults on-line? I have a shipment of assorted poults due soon and I need to be able to ID them quickly. Thanks!

#81499 - 06/04/04 11:27 AM Re: Pics of Poults on-line
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
You don't really need photos to tell which they are if they are "official" varieties. Black ones are black with a white face mask. Blue slates, which are geneticly black with blue dilution are blue with the white face mask. Jersey Buff which are black with the addition of red genes, are reddish tan with the white face mask. Bronze are the wild type birds. Sunshine has posted a picture of a wild bronze poult in her recent post. Domestic bronze will look like that. Add red to that and you get the Bourbon Red. They will have the stripes of the wild on a reddish base. Narragansetts you probably cannot tell at hatch if they are Narris or not until you have experience, and then it's still hard sometimes. They will be slightly more silvered/gray than brown. Royal Palms will be yellow with possibly a faint gray back stripe. Whites based on the bronze will be yellow downed with tannish coloured heads.

There are other genetic combinations but those are the basic ones. If you get something you don't know what it is, ask on here again and I'll try to help. I've hatched out about 80+ poults so far this year and most of them have been crosses. I breed for unusual colours in turkeys.

Jennifer

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2