Topic Options
#81517 - 11/04/07 11:45 AM about to lay?
Pipit Offline
Feather

Loc: Florida
I have a male and female broad breasted bronze turkeys that are about 6 months old. My husband said he saw them mating. Now the female is acting like she's going to lay an egg. She is sitting funny and she gets the same look on her face my chickens do when they are laying. I thought Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys couldn't mate naturally. what's up with my birds?

#81518 - 11/04/07 03:31 PM Re: about to lay?
Kim Chat Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
They will breed and sit on a nest. The only problems is that the females are quite heavy and have a tendency to break the eggs. If you know where she is laying and want a turkey egg, get when she lays it. Our used to bring us the broken eggs. I guess she thought we could fix it. Poor thing has since passed away. frown

#81519 - 11/05/07 03:21 AM Re: about to lay?
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
Odds are good the BB male will tear the hen come spring when he is size humongous. Get her a saddle to protect her back. Many of the males will become to big and ungainly to mount and mate successfully.

I had a BB hen who constantly went broody but she would always crush the eggs. I do have two of her children that I hatched in an incubator. They are only half meat mutant.Crossed with heritage birds the offspring are real big but still functional birds.

My BB hen only made it 3 years. Didn't try to keep any of the toms. I will try for another BB hen this spring just to hatch a few more crossbred offspring. Keep my husband out of my pet heritage birds that way.

#81520 - 11/05/07 09:04 AM Re: about to lay?
Pipit Offline
Feather

Loc: Florida
Thanks for the replies. Wishbone, the male has only two more weeks before he ends up as Thanksgiving dinner. Drumstick, the female, will remain a pet.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2