Topic Options
#81645 - 07/15/08 01:31 PM Black Poop
M. Muslima Offline
New Egg

Loc: Connecticut
I have 14 turkeys. I haven't had any trouble with them until about 3 weeks ago when one died out of the blue. I had had a few droopy guinea hens that I treated with antibiotics; and when the turkey died, I treated the whole flock of turkeys as well. Since then some have had black poop but no other signs of illness. They range and seem fine. Any ideas?

#81646 - 07/15/08 02:06 PM Re: Black Poop
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
They may be eating berries of some sort with dark colouring in them, such as black nightshade, blackberries, inkweed, elderberry or privit. Have a look around their range and see if anything like these fits the bill.

#81647 - 07/15/08 04:18 PM Re: Black Poop
M. Muslima Offline
New Egg

Loc: Connecticut
I have looked around and can't seem to find anything. The berries are not really in yet in this area. We do have inkweed here but it doesn't have any berries yet. Not sure what privit looks like but I will look it up.

Thanks

#81648 - 07/15/08 05:27 PM Re: Black Poop
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Here's a good site for photographic images. Privit

Botanical name for privet is ligustrum Sinense. Was introduced throughout the world as a hedging plant and in many countries is now considered a surveillance weed, due to its ability to be spread by birds where it will colonise native bush and roadsides. It is characterised by a sweet sickly scent when in flower, which is known to trigger asthma in susceptible people.

Another possibility is your birds are eating something high in iron, (ferris sulphate) which could also turn poop black.

#81649 - 08/08/08 06:19 AM Re: Black Poop
A. Charles Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally posted by Foehn:
They may be eating berries of some sort with dark colouring in them, such as black nightshade, blackberries, inkweed, elderberry or privit. Have a look around their range and see if anything like these fits the bill.
Considering the time of year it could also be wild cherries. They are dropping off the trees right now. My free ranging hens have been eating them for some time, and their poop is black.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2