Topic Options
#83293 - 04/20/07 02:13 PM Millie and Flora
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Last October, I sent two Buff Columbian pullets to live in a New York Manhattan apartment--6th floor, with another cage on the roof-deck for nice weather. (Kindness of Stephanie Brandt, WY, as I cannot mail birds.) They have done very well, started laying a few days after arrival, and with an exception of a few weeks rest, they have continued to keep their happy owner in eggs! During a trial "set", they got very cross with one another--but it was quickly over. For several days they had to be separated! The living-room cage is covered with voil curtains to catch the dust, but the owner felt they would never be homesick, if they had a scene of the Rocky Mountains as a "window" on one side! Dutch can be so very adaptible!! The little Dutch will be a year old in two weeks! CJR

#83294 - 04/20/07 06:32 PM Re: Millie and Flora
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
That is so neat, what is the little door for? Does it go into another area?

#83295 - 04/20/07 07:11 PM Re: Millie and Flora
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You can't see the whole pen, so I am not sure if that is the door to the nest (they push into it to keep it dark)--or if that is the entry to the wire pen that is on the deck???? Although the hens are very tame and gentle, everything is worked out so that there is no chance for escape and flight off the deck! That was my only worry about the roof garden, where they can be in the sun and eat greens planted for them. CJR

Some days when I have been cleaning pens (today) and carrying water and feed, etc. etc. for all the birds--I think maybe Sue has the right idea???

Have you started hatching Dutch, Smokey? Snow gone?? Wish you could make it to Great Falls!

#83296 - 04/21/07 07:39 AM Re: Millie and Flora
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Jean, Yes snow is long gone and beautiful weather now. I have not yet started setting Dutch eggs, my new passion is silkies and have been doing that first. I do have 4 hens seperated in cages though trying to get them "unfertile" from running with the mixed lot. I decided to only breed what I figure to be the best 4 hens but not a one is giving me eggs to check!!!
I didnt get my entry form for the great falls show? Till the day it was due but with our new show in May, and me being show secretary, I have all I can handle at the moment. It should be fun!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, CJR