Topic Options
#83766 - 06/08/04 01:12 PM Legs on Dutch chicks?
Cool2Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
Well Yesterday I had three LB Pure Dutch chicks hatch and on there shanks there is a little fluff? Im really confused I have never seen them hatch with fluff on there legs. Could this be a through back from on old breeding? But all three of them have some amount with the last one only a little. If theye where even remotly breed with my Brahma they woulden't have the distinct chipmunck strips and the nice well difined single comb. If they eggs came from my Millie Fluer hen by axident they would have more feathering on the legs and a beard and muffs. They are from a LB cock and LB Hen never crossed with anything ealse. Can you help me.

Cool2Chickens
http://bluerunbantams.webs.com/

#83767 - 06/08/04 03:11 PM Re: Legs on Dutch chicks?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Cool2Chickens, Have never seen or heard of a Dutch in 18 years with any sign of stubs or feathers on the legs.

About 20 years ago, I had a 3 mos old OEGB cockerel(hatched from an egg given to me that was supposed to be Dutchs and before I could obtain any Dutch birds)that covered a Silkie hen. Two chicks had stubbs or a couple of feathers on the legs, not Silkie feathered legs, just a few spindly feathers and none on the toes. They had long legs of an OEGB, stubby tails, and were homely little fellows. They were both cockerels and were given away as pets along with their sire, as soon as possible.

It would be hard to believe that any featherlegged ancestors could have been in your birds ancestry. My guess is that your d'Uccle slipped the coop just once????. And sadly, it happens sometimes. They cannot be Dutch. Let us know what color they are when they are feathered, especially what kind of tails.

Once I let a Light Brown Dutch cock mate with a half MilleFleur Dutch, half Blue Light Brown Dutch hen! Just hatched 2 eggs, both Red Tailed Black cockerels with Cuckoo undercoat., no spangles at all. No, I did not keep them! They were gorgeous, but I do not have room to do much color trials. It was an interesting genetic exercise.

CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, CJR