Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85381 - 02/23/09 09:05 PM Past Present and future of The Coop
Admin @ The Coop Offline
Bantam

Loc: United States
Hi All,

I just wanted to touch bases with the visitors on The Coop, especially those that are involved with the recent (sort of) discussions about the board and features.

Back Story: I actaully started The Coop in 1995 as a project to learn html. It has kind of taken on a life of it's own despite the fact that I've sort of drifted away the past few years.

Present: I'm not sure why the server change messed up the board. I've had numersou trouble tickets and support calls, and never got anyone to admit they could find anyting. I'm glad it seems to be working now, ut that is as much of a mystery as it ceasing to function.

The Future:
If anyone has experience with board software I am considering:
1> Moving the whole thing to a new, more reliable server. We are with WEB.com. we ended up there after about 4 or 5 mergers, and I'm not impressed. They have been problematic for several years and the past year have really gone down hill. I have a couple possible places in mind, but want to figure out how to preserve the board and it's contents. we moved things to a new board years back and ended up loosing all the old material which was a shame.
2> Upgrading the Discussion Board, possibly to UBB Threads, which is a later version of this software, but it operates on SQL instead of a flat file system. This particular software has been installed here since 2003, so it is no spring chicken.

What's holding me up?

Finding the time to do the research, particularly on the board and how we can move things around. Also, the license for the updated software is $199, Having them do an upgrade install $149 etc. Not a lot, but it adds up. I just want to be sure we are making a difference if I make the investment.

Any of you know anything about UBB Threads? Can we keep our past history switching from UBB classic to Threads? If you have any experience in these areaas or want to do a little research, let me know. Drop me a private message. I may not get back to you same day, but I'll try and look regularly.

Loren

#85382 - 02/24/09 11:13 AM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I hope the COOP members will see this message from our Benefactor!

The value of this board cannot be measured for the years service to poultry people, in the U.S. and abroad.

It would not be difficult to raise the money to support change of the board--from the members. With the numbers of members, a token donation from those who could-would do the job--but would require a method and a handler!

??? CJR, with no clue about the software possibilities, just:

with GRATEFUL THANKS TO LOREN, FOR THE YEARS OF SERVICE to chicken-folks everywhere, from those many chicken-folks everywhere!!

#85383 - 02/24/09 11:39 AM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
Maybe someone with a Paypal account (as a seller, not a buyer) so that we coupld pay that person, who could then write a cheque for Loren?
Anyone out there?

#85384 - 02/24/09 02:36 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
That's what I'm wondering as well??? Paypal would be a good way!

Heck why not? BYC is selling their own freakin' T-shirts for gosh sakes...why can't we help out our board through donations?

This board is too valuable to put a price tag on, so I'd say go for it!

But with that in mind, if the new version of the forum is going to look like

http://forum.horseville.com then FORGET IT! lol!

#85385 - 02/24/09 02:50 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Mountaintop Chicken Offline
Feather

Loc: Vermont
I hardly ever post here, but I read the coop all the time. I don't post because I have a lot to learn and not much to add to the genetics threads.

Every time I go online looking up some obscure chicken topic, the old posts from the coop come up. Even the years-old posts are great.

I would donate a small amount to help the coop survive, if it was though a paypal or something.

Moving to a different server sounds like a great idea. The search function drives me crazy on this one. It searches each section of the site separately and takes forever.

#85386 - 02/24/09 03:58 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
We are using UBB Classic 6.7.2 so according to this we can transfer all our information to the new software.

From UBB Threads
We currently offer import/upgrade scripts in our Members Area for the following forum software:
UBB.threads 6.5.x
UBB.classic 6.7.x
phpBB 2.x

We take the time to make sure all of our import scripts import as much data as possible including things like polls, private messages, and a variety of data. We also include redirect scripts with each importer that will redirect users to the new imported posts allowing for a seamless migration without losing Search Engine Ranking.

UBB.threads™ users. Please note, if you are not running at least version 6.5, you will need to upgrade your forum to 6.5 at the minimum before importing to version 7.

UBB.classic™ users. Please note, if you are not running at least version 6.7, you will need to upgrade your forum to 6.7 at the minimum before importing to version 7.

Here is a UBB threads forum. Keep in mind that it can be scaled or customized to fit our needs. web page

I spend very little time here in the classroom these days but it will always be a part of me. This is where I found help the first time I needed it. I have learned so much since then.

Loren...give us a way to help financially. Maybe old school? An address to send you a check, P.O. box or something? I pledge $25 to keep things going.

#85387 - 02/24/09 04:12 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
One more thing. The OLD classroom is not lost even though it didn't transfer to here. You can view it at this link.
The Classroom
How many (other than you CJR wink smile ) remember that?

There is some great info there from members long gone!

Edited by Foehn (03/30/10 01:42 AM)

#85388 - 02/24/09 04:19 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Wow! I remember seeing it, but got fed up trying to use it...WOW...maybe technology ISN'T so bad?

#85389 - 02/24/09 05:29 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Yes, yes and again I say yes! It would be a shame to not keep The Coop going and I too would send along some of my weird, Canadian money for ugrade / change purposes. This site is loaded with so much wisdom! Thanks to Loren for starting someting wonderful!

#85390 - 02/24/09 07:41 PM Re: Past Present and future of The Coop
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
M2 Agree. Now CJR I think you should be the method and the handler. Don`t think CJR is set up for paypal but MO or check would work. Sorry to try and put this on you Jean , but you are one of the most honest persons I know. And when it comes to money we need an honest person. So will you do it ? Please. Rog. PS I`ll send you $25.00 too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2