Topic Options
#85455 - 09/09/05 12:30 PM A sinus infection?
Stephanie B. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
Hi,

I have a year and half old Dutch male that is not doing really well. He has always been a more sensative bird.

He had a bad summer: molted hard, had mites ( I did catch them early though)and has been pretty quiet ( but it has been really hot this summer.)

Two days ago, Wednesday night, he had a bit of crust on his nose and watery eyes. He was breathing though his mouth until I cleaned off his nose. I put Vet-RX on his face and nose.

Thursday morning, he looked just fine.

Thursday night, he was back to watery eyes, crusty/runny nose again with sneezing and a bit of heat on parts of his face. I put more Vet-RX.

This morning he is the same or a bit worse than last night. I gave him some cat food with vitaims, put more Vet-RX on. And will be driving over to my sister's to get the Tyland and Terramysion. His manure looks good, is eating and drinking too.

His ears are bothering me also. They have a bit of what looks like dried skin around them.

The town just started fogging for mosquitioes along the lane by the coop. The chemical they are spraying is called Permanon. I am going to flag the guy down tonight and try to get him to stop spaying by the coop.

So what do you think? Sinus infection? CRD? Ear infection? The bug spray?

How do you check if he has a fever?

I will get pictures later today.

Thanks so much,
Steph

#85456 - 09/10/05 02:45 PM Re: A sinus infection?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
He certainly has either an infection, or an allergy to the sprays for insects--would never use them in my coops (with birds in them)--or in MY house, for that matter). You are probably doing what is best for him. If he continues to eat and drink normally, the allergy would be more suspect than an infection, as that would not likely be exclusive to one bird. Allergies can be individual. I have been so fortunate not to ever have any respiratory diseases with my birds--and so cannot really say what is best treatment--only what I have read. Good luck, CJR

#85457 - 09/11/05 01:12 PM Re: A sinus infection?
Stephanie B. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
Yes, I think it is the bug spray. He has been fine for the last two days now. But they havn't sprayed because it has been windy.

They spray in town all the time. It really makes me wonder as we have a huge amount of our population with cancer......

I will take him over to my sister's if they start fogging again. And I will try to get them to stop by the coop. Thanks for the help!

Steph

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2