Topic Options
#85481 - 05/06/08 06:07 PM chick with an enormous lump on chest
Heddy Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
we have a chick (about 10 days old) who is energetic and alert, but has developed an huge lump on her chest. Could this be her crop as well? I have given her grit, and she gets to scratch the grass in a small enclosure with her mother hen. Their bedding in wood shavings- should I remove these and substitute newspaper or straw or something else? Her lump is about 20-30% of her overall body size I would estimate.. I have been giving her only medicated crumb to eat, and of course fresh water. She seems to be well, but looks so wierd with this large lump...Help!

#85482 - 05/06/08 07:11 PM Re: chick with an enormous lump on chest
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If it isn't her normal full crop, it could be stuffed with shavings. Usually a chick will not eat too many shavings, but I do not use it until chicks are several weeks old (yours, almost are). Probably in several days, it will go down?? I have never flushed a chick's crop---so watch it--and paper might help for a few days, so shavings might not be appetizing. Good luck, CJR

#85483 - 05/06/08 09:04 PM Re: chick with an enormous lump on chest
Heddy Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
I feel foolish- you are right- I think it is her crop. I just didn't realize it was so low on their chest, or could be so big. I've never seen it look so pronounced before on any of our chicks. It went down quite a bit when I checked her a little while ago. I think this little chick is just a little piggy!
CJR- thank you for your help; I admire the giving spirit of your devotion to this site. I can imagine how much more wonderful the world will be when more people are so giving. Heather

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2