Topic Options
#85550 - 04/21/05 03:18 PM rough week- another injury
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
Ok- all has been fine because I have locked up the roosters- one got loose- no idea how but am going to give him away asap. Have a hen who is panting and cannot stand up. Her feet seem to be curled in and toes straight. She free ranges and has plenty of water and feed. It was 85 degrees here today but she has water and shade. I was collecting eggs at 4 and she was fine- just got back from the coop and she was laying on the floor- please help! thanks- Lisa

#85551 - 04/21/05 05:42 PM Re: rough week- another injury
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
The panting could be just from the heat even if the others aren't. Free ranging always makes for many possibilities. She could have had a close call with danger and be in mild shock. She could have eaten something cause botulism. It could be something else entirely. I would put her some place quiet and comfy for now. Has there been any changes? If she starts having trouble holding her head up (limber neck) it could be botulism and you need to flush with Epsom salts. A search will provide details.

Bill L

#85552 - 04/21/05 06:04 PM Re: rough week- another injury
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Hello- she seems to be a bit better- she can hold her head up and reacts a little bit to me picking her up. She is still panting and not able to stand. I will keep you updated!

#85553 - 04/21/05 09:02 PM Re: rough week- another injury
Gawle Offline
Bantam

latest post- she seems more alert but is still panting like she cannot catch her breath. Her mucus when she opens her mouth looks thick as well. Any ideas?? Thanks- Lisa

#85554 - 04/21/05 09:44 PM Re: rough week- another injury
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Well- I am so sad. I went in to check on her and let her stand up outside of the box on the bathroom floor- she walked around and I was so glad- then she pooped a bright yellow and dropped over and died. What did I do wrong?

#85555 - 04/22/05 03:32 AM Re: rough week- another injury
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
You did not do anything wrong. We all do the best we can but many things are beyond our control. Could the yellow have been yolk? Maybe a broken egg inside. If so there would not have been anything you could do. Sorry you lost her.

Bill L

#85556 - 04/22/05 03:56 AM Re: rough week- another injury
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Sometimes a badly frightened bird goes into shock and takes a little while to die. She could have had a close call that you didn't see. You can't do anything for them, and it's not your fault. So sorry.

#85557 - 04/22/05 05:56 AM Re: rough week- another injury
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Thank you for your support. How would I know if it was a broken egg and what would cause it? Thanks- Lisa

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2