Topic Options
#85627 - 01/06/08 09:56 AM Rooster acting funny
Lucky One Offline
New Egg

Loc: Pennsylvania
We have a black orpington rooster(he is possible mixed with something else. We've had him for one year, but I have no idea how old he is. Anyway, we also have a silkie rooster and a barred bantam rooster along with an assortment of about 10 other hens. They have all been living together and do free range when it's nice. Black Joe (the orpington) has always been alpha rooster. In the last few weeks, he has been acting strange, sitting by himself, shaking etc. The silkie rooster has gone after him and it appears that the silkie is now alpha rooster, Black Joe runs from the Silkie. Is my Black Joe sick or has he aged to the point where a new rooster has taken over? What can I do? [*]Rooster acting funny

#85628 - 01/06/08 10:31 AM Re: Rooster acting funny
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Something is not right. I would check for mites or lice immediately. Look real, real good at skin level in the entire vent area (especially below the vent), on his neck, on his thighs and at the base of his tail.

Then I would check for worms. These are two likely problems.

CHRIS

#85629 - 01/06/08 11:30 AM Re: Rooster acting funny
Lucky One Offline
New Egg

I think he has scaly leg, his legs look horrible. Could this be the cause? What can we do if it is mites?

#85630 - 01/06/08 12:13 PM Re: Rooster acting funny
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Use the search function at top of screen. Use key words like lice, mites, scaley leg mite and you should get heaps of information. Cures are many and varied. CJR has some useful advice for leg mites with a product we can't get here, but you should be able to.

#85631 - 01/06/08 01:18 PM Re: Rooster acting funny
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
CJR recommends & it has worked for me: Campho-phenique. Use an eye dropper or small syringe and coat feet, leg & shanks entirely getting in between the toes and on the scales that are popped up. The scaly leg mites could be a problem & will cause him to limp and can lose toes.

Check for other mites in feathers & on skin too.

#85632 - 01/06/08 02:20 PM Re: Rooster acting funny
Lucky One Offline
New Egg

We we checked him out and definetely saw some critter running through his feathers. I'm pretty sure it's lice. We segregated him from the others and will go out tommorrow to get something to treat him. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

#85633 - 01/06/08 03:23 PM Re: Rooster acting funny
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

If that running critter looked a lot like a sesame seed with legs, then yes it's lice and by the sounds of things your boy must be feeling pretty miserable. As he's been running with all other hens/roosters it would be advisable to treat them all, as they are sure to be contaminated also. Good luck.

#85634 - 01/10/08 05:59 PM Re: Rooster acting funny
Lucky One Offline
New Egg

We dusted him for the lice and found some lice on another hen. For a day or so,he seemed like he was doing ok. He even escaped his segregation and joined the flock again, but today we found him pretty beat and bloodied. I imagine it was the Silkie that did it to him. Anyway, we separated him again, (no chance of escape this time). His tail feathers are droopy, and he seems to have shallow breathing and just seems not right. Any other suggestions? I'm afraid we're going to lose him.

#85635 - 01/11/08 12:34 AM Re: Rooster acting funny
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Lice and mites can have a serious effect on the general welbeing of birds, and will rob them of energy. It's a pity he escaped back into the flock, because the beating he has taken, will have further cost him.
The other thing that can happen is that lice and mites can get a serious hold on a bird that is already ill, thereby exaserbating the illness.

Best thing you can do is keep him separated and feed him up on high quality food. Start by giving him water with honey disolved in it, 1 teaspoon per cup of water. This will give his energy an immediate boost. Then offer him yoghurt, grapes, banana, any other soft fruits you might have, chook food, fresh greens, boiled mashed eggs, anything you have infact to encourage him to eat and recover. He will also need fresh clean water.
Keep an eye on his breathing and make sure it is not developing into a respitory issue, such as infection.

#85636 - 01/11/08 04:02 PM Re: Rooster acting funny
Lucky One Offline
New Egg

Thanks for the advice.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2