Topic Options
#85695 - 09/24/09 04:47 PM Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

Loc: Illinois
My Big red rooster who seemed perfectly healthy all of a sudden just sat down in a corner and became droopy and wouldn't get up and kept closing his eyes. I picked him up and noticed how thin he was which was not obvious at all from the outside. What do you think could be wrong with him? He is one of my favorite roosters and is absolutly beautiful. I know I heard him crowing yesterday. Can any one please tell me what I could do for him? I appreciate any and all advice.

#85696 - 09/24/09 05:50 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Is he crop bound? Feel his crop. Is it full or empty? SOmetimes with crop bound, you don't notice until the effects of starvation hit them, and then it can be too late. If he's crop bound his crop will be full and hard, like he's just taken on a load of food.

OF course, there are other things that can cause this. It's often hard to tell. BUt check first for crop bound.

#85697 - 09/24/09 06:17 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

I'm running out to the barn to check asap. If it is his crop......what should I do? Thank you.

#85698 - 09/24/09 11:20 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

If it is his crop, use the search function and look up all posts on crop bound and crop surgery. Surgery is not the only option, but do some reading.

Remove him from everyone, (put a laundry basket over him to make a temporary isolation unit) and give him water with some honey in it. The honey will give him some nutrients, if it can get through his crop, if it is his crop that is all stuffed up.

While you have him in hand, check him over really good for injuries. Could a dog or coyote have bit him? Sometimes the feathers can cover a bad injury and you don't notice it just by looking. Check him for lice too while you're at it. Keep us posted as to what you find and how he's doing.

#85699 - 09/25/09 07:21 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Yes defiantly separate him ASAP! You don't want the others to catch on and know he's weak.

All of uno's advice is very useful!

#85700 - 09/27/09 11:41 AM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

Well its not his crop or any other obvious bites or injury. Considering he is very lethergic I was really able to check him over. I tried honey water, vitamin water, hard boilded eggs and he just lays there breathing very slowly with his head down and eyes closed opening them now and then. I really think he's dying.

#85701 - 09/27/09 01:56 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

I just want to Thank eveybody from the bottom of my heart. It is nice to know that I have other chicken people to turn to in a time of need and sorrow. Big Red just died.

#85702 - 09/27/09 02:00 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Sorry for your loss jbyrds. Never easy when we lose the ones we are very fond of.

#85703 - 09/27/09 04:34 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It is very sad to lose ANY of our birds, and especially a favorite! However, when sudden sickness is seen, often the bird has had a problem for a while, and they do everything possible to hide it from all! And then it is too late to do anything, if even possible at the onset? A necropsy is the only way to be sure what caused his demise--hard to do ourselves, but not really all that difficult. Internally, the cause may be evident. Sorry---CJR

#85704 - 09/27/09 10:26 PM Re: Big Rooster Suddenly Very Ill
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I am so sorry. YOu tell yourself, it's just a chicken...yet it was a life, a creature in your care and this loss is hard. It is a helpless and frustrating feeling wanting to do someting but not knowing what, not knowing how to help. We've all been there. SOrry.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2