Topic Options
#85705 - 01/06/09 08:10 AM Chicks Suffocating
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have about 75 Rhode Island Reds that are about 8 weeks old in a barn stall. I found 12 dead chicks this morning, all suffocated under the others. Other than separating them, are there any other ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? I live in a cold climate in the winter. I took the heat light out because they would feed all night. Also, would a roost help?

#85706 - 01/06/09 08:39 AM Re: Chicks Suffocating
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
They were cold--they must still need some heat in this cold winter. You can use either Red or frosted incandescant lights, hung low enough for some heat to reach the floor and in 3 or 4 locations in the stall, so they will not pile up to keep warm. In a stall, most of the heat goes UP. However, while they wll eat off and on night and day, they will also sleep off and on all night and day. They will not pile up, if they are active and not cold. Light 24/7 is not a problem and should not be a worry. They are old enough to roost-but can still pile up, if they are not warm enough. Their feathering is not giving them enough warmth--but will soon. 10 chicks can still smother a couple in a corner, if they are cold-so it is not just numbers.
Winter chicks may require creative cooping to give them a good start--give them light and a little heat . Good luck, CJR

#85707 - 01/06/09 11:16 AM Re: Chicks Suffocating
Chickie Mom Offline
Bantam

Loc: Kansas
Yes, we hang several, like 6 or more, heat lamps in a group of 100. That way the spread out more.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2