Topic Options
#85778 - 07/23/08 11:42 AM 8-week-old Fading
Jojuan Offline
Feather

Loc: Oregon
This marvelous Plymouth was our firecracker from the start - bold, curious and into everything. This morning she wouldn't come down from the roost area. Lately, we've noticed she's feathering out slower than the other Plymouth with a decidedly rumpled look and seems increasingly listless. Feeding, water and droppings all appear normal with no other symptoms...but then, I'm a rank novice with chicks. The other 5 girls all appear healthy. Is there something I have overlooked? Please, I need advice or suggestions, quick! A million thanks for your help!!

#85779 - 07/23/08 05:48 PM Re: 8-week-old Fading
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
Check her for external parasites. Look around the vent, and under her wings. It's possible that she might have a bad case of mites or lice. Also possible that she might have worms.

#85780 - 07/28/08 04:00 PM Re: 8-week-old Fading
Jojuan Offline
Feather

Loc: Oregon
Thanks, JHM, for the tips, but I learned about an astonishing remedy. Soon after I sent out my plea, I received a call from a local keeper who reported similar symptoms and a marvelous treatment.

I was desparate enough to try it even though it sounded kooky! Make a gruel of cooked oatmeal (with milk) with yogurt added after it's cooled (so as not to kill the probiotics). Within 24 hours I could see improvement in the little one. Within 48, the entire flock of six were noticeably friskier.

I have continued the treatments every day since, except for today. I'm very curious about how such a treatment could cause such immediate effect. I have a feeling I will be learning more and more about chicken health. Thanks again for replying.

#85781 - 07/28/08 05:17 PM Re: 8-week-old Fading
K. Gunn Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
I do yogurt with added probiotic powder and scrambled eggs cooled for pale combs and crops and watery stool. Works like a charm.

#85782 - 07/28/08 10:10 PM Re: 8-week-old Fading
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Chooks are not much different to us in the need for a balance of good and other bacteria in the gut. Hens that have become ill for whatever reason, can benefit from a topping up of the good bacteria and may be all they need to get them over anything they've either eaten, or contracted, which affects their digestion. They have the benefit from a little extra protein and calcium too. It's also a good practice to use acidophilis yoghurt if you've needed to medicate with antibiotics too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2