Topic Options
#85802 - 02/01/07 11:07 AM ?vomit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont think chickens throw up.........she is loseing alot of fluid ? out the mouth, if you hold her up, she pours out a runny mess!!!!! is this impacted crop? please help
she just lies around & has a weak appitite. do i dare jump to antibiotics?

#85803 - 02/01/07 11:12 AM Re: ?vomit?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I have birds that do this when they have over drank their water. It happesn ALOT during the summer because their water intake increases.

Can you smell a bad odor coming from her mouth? What color is her poo? Does she cough, sneeze, or do anything else? What is she eating right now?

#85804 - 02/01/07 11:52 AM Re: ?vomit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for a fast reply!!! well she does seem to be a bit normal- but then she will just stand around, her neck is stretched out or up to hold the fluid in.
she is eating layer ration with a bit of grower/starter (if stolen from the younger ones :rolleyes: of course) cracked corn and/or scratch mix here and there, what ever the "veggi of the week" is...cabbage this week, has oyster shells, and chicken grit to eat. egg yolks, and vitamims in the water every other 2 water changes (because its winter) the whole normal spoiled chicken diet.
no real fowl smell, agein- she's not really into food much at the moment. poop not off.

#85805 - 02/01/07 11:56 AM Re: ?vomit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

she is in the heated garage/apt. at the moment (58 degrees) in a cage.

#85806 - 02/01/07 05:19 PM Re: ?vomit?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Chickens cannot vomit, so anything running out is an overfilled crop that is not emptying into the "stomach". I would not feed her ANYTHING until either the crop goes down to empty, normally, or you must drain it (search Impacted Crop at the top of the page--SEARCH function). Sounds like you have caught it early--others will have to respond, as I have never experienced it myself. Not fun... Good luck, CJR

#85807 - 02/14/07 06:15 AM Re: ?vomit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ohhhhhh this is an old post. she did"nt make it past 34 hrs. i have learned alot but too late to save her, but knowledge enough for the future........ frown mad frown frown

#85808 - 02/14/07 11:47 AM Re: ?vomit?
Justice Offline
Feather

Loc: New York
Hi,My name is Justice. I had that happen to my favorite chicken, it all started when we gave it old chease and bread,And then it started to act very stange and then i tipped it over to see if it wanted to drink and then it vometed.Can you smell bad odor coming from its mouth??And what has it been eating?, just grain or table scraps or both???Hope everything gets ok.
Justice
P.S.My chicken Died her name was Wings.i will never forget her.Good Luck

#85809 - 02/14/07 11:51 AM Re: ?vomit?
Justice Offline
Feather

,It me Justice.if it is vometing it is called (sour crop)Just Found Out)Bye Good Luck. Justice

#85810 - 02/14/07 11:56 AM Re: ?vomit?
Justice Offline
Feather

I am very sorry to hear she did not make it.whaaa).I cried when my chicken past away.I hope it never happens again-to you ethier.
(Sincerly)
Justice

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2