Topic Options
#85819 - 12/31/07 10:20 AM Possible crop problem
Naomi Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
I have a salmon Faverolles bantam cockerel who was the picture of perfect health up until afternoon of two days ago. That afternoon, I noticed that he was sleeping a lot (standing position with head stuffed in shoulder feathers). Yesterday, this got even worse, and today, he's not eating at all. He's got good weight on him, still, and I don't think it's Marek's because I vaccinated him when he hatched 5 1/2 months ago. It does feel like his crop is hard and full and I think it might be impacted.

Is there any way I can treat this at home without going to emergency? How long can he be in this condition and not die? I called the avian vet today but they're booked. If this it has been less than 48 hours since this problem started, can I wait another 48 hours when, hopefully, I can get him in to see the doc? Or will he be dead by then? I just want to empty his crop and see if this helps him to feel better. If there's a blockage, I guess I'll have to deal with possible surgery later.

He's very precious to me and his ladies. I have epsom salt and mineral oil. I'm not sure what to do.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

#85820 - 12/31/07 11:18 AM Re: Possible crop problem
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Can you say more? What bedding is in his pen? Does he free range and what vegetation is available this time of year where you live? Is there likelihood he has eaten metal...nails, wire, pennies, even glass?

I know his crop is full and he is sleepy and feeling bad, but it helps to know if it could be also infection or a puncture. Say more?

#85821 - 12/31/07 04:23 PM Re: Possible crop problem
Naomi Offline
Bantam

Oops - sorry. Well, at the suggestion of some other chicken folks (as well as a vet), I'm trying crop massaging for now, until I can get him in to see a doc.

He free-ranges on a small backyard with many, many different types of trees and bushes - apples, pomegranates, oranges, lemons, cherry, and non-fruiting types. But the only real leaves that he loves to eat is from this one with little purple flowers that grow year-round. Sorry, I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's the cause, since his ladies also eat the same leaves. I suppose he could have swallowed something metallic.At night, he's in a cage in the house - just newspaper lining and I've noticed that he occasionally eats feathers that have fallen off of himself or his ladies.

It's okay - I'm going to hope and pray that he can survive until Wednesday and try to get him to the vet. Thanks a bunch.

#85822 - 01/01/08 06:55 AM Re: Possible crop problem
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

All the best then. His crop can be full but not impacted, which is why I asked. If he is ill, his digestion will have shut down and his crop just won't empty. Massage is good to break up lumps too big to pass, but if he has shut down, it won't move the material out of his crop. You might feed him some yoghurt and put some vinegar in his water so that the pH in his crop stays lower and slows any mouldy growth in the trapped food. This will make it easier on him to wait till Wednesday.

#85823 - 01/01/08 10:12 AM Re: Possible crop problem
Naomi Offline
Bantam

Thank you, Jocelyn. He didn't make it frown . What a way to start the New Year...

#85824 - 01/01/08 04:12 PM Re: Possible crop problem
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Awe, I'm so sorry.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2