Topic Options
#85871 - 05/17/07 05:36 AM chick with hard lump/impacted crop?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a week old bantam brahma chick who has a solid bump on the right side of his neck---I am assuming it is the crop but on such a small body it can be difficult to tell. The mass is causing the chick's head to tilt to the side.
Is this an impacted crop? If so, what an I do to treat it? The chicks are bedded on pine shavings, and fed starter mash. The chick appears to be eating and drinking normally but is not as vigorous as the other chicks. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

#85872 - 05/17/07 06:44 AM Re: chick with hard lump/impacted crop?
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

I think the crop is a bit lower, hereīs a typical "full-brahma-chick-crop" pic:

( http://www.krassesrudel.at/fotos/brahmas/kukengesichter/slides/p7310031.jpg )

Hope it helps and best greetings,

Joachim

#85873 - 05/17/07 08:05 AM Re: chick with hard lump/impacted crop?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Uh-oh...I'm afraid that it may be a skeletal deformity of the neck, then. My chick's lump is located much higher up. I palpated the bump and it is the size of a large pea, and firm. It is at the side of the neck and at the base of the neck. Earlier, I erroneously reported it was on the right side, but it is actually on the left side of the neck.
Any idea if it could be anything else other than a skeletal problem? I'd love to treat it if possible. The chick continues to eat and drink well.
Thank you for your help.

#85874 - 05/17/07 08:43 AM Re: chick with hard lump/impacted crop?
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Oh, sorry to read. Hope someone else can help you more than me then, at least now you know that itīs not "normal". Maybe the chick got pierced by an insect?

Best luck,

Joachim

#85875 - 05/17/07 01:18 PM Re: chick with hard lump/impacted crop?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not likely an insect, I'm afraid. The chick is indoors. The bump really feels like bone, perhaps a bony deformity of the neck.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2